+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 127389 macc2440 is on a distinguished road macc2440's Avatar

Yes | No

Our search not working, on the M coupe back door

shocks , mine need replacing,is it a do it yourselfer ? Any tricks to replacing?

Registered Member
    Member No: 64997 kristofergregoire is an unknown quantity at this point kristofergregoire's Avatar

Yes | No

suspension link

.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16582&highlight=suspens ion]Installing shocks and springs.

This link has what you need. I'm looking into a new suspension this summer and I dug up this post today. You'll need a spring compressor and maybe a special tool to deal with the front struts.

How many miles on your coupe? I've got over 114k so I'm going for new rear mounts, springs, shocks, (maybe coilovers) and camber plates if my budget allows. Not sure if coilover set-ups come assembled but it would be nice not having to deal with the old strut assembly.

Registered Member
    Member No: 64997 kristofergregoire is an unknown quantity at this point kristofergregoire's Avatar

Registered Member

Yes | No

son of a...

w w w .[Oops!] . com /forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16582&highlight=suspens ion

It wouldn't let me copy the link... delete spaces.

Registered Member

Yes | No

**********DOTcom !

http://www.[Oops!].com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16582&highlight=suspens ion

.... **********DOTcom

Registered Member
    Member No: 136001 oktoberfest is an unknown quantity at this point oktoberfest's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you mean the rear hatch struts?

You can get them from AutohausAZ.com for around $16.50 each. They are easy to replace -- just slide the clips off the ball joints. But make sure you support the hatch door; it's pretty heavy without the struts to hold it up.

Van

Yes | No

Go to RealOEM.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 113408 dkuo is an unknown quantity at this point dkuo's Avatar

Yes | No

JESUS that was a pain in my [Oops!]

Inspired by this thread I ordered a set of replacement trunk struts and just spent the last hour installing them. It took me forever to get the clips off the first strut, but after I figured it out the rest were pretty easy.

Now I don't have to worry about the hatch falling on my head when I load groceries :)

Registered Member
    Member No: 136001 oktoberfest is an unknown quantity at this point oktoberfest's Avatar

Yes | No

IIRC you slide the clips rather than pry them

Registered Member
    Member No: 113408 dkuo is an unknown quantity at this point dkuo's Avatar

Yes | No

Yeah definitely slide

you want to lift a little bit too, so they clear the edge of the groove. It was hard to get leverage. Not easy on a 10 year old part caked with grease... :P

Registered Member
    Member No: 20792 BadKarma is an unknown quantity at this point BadKarma's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: suspension link

I didn't use a spring compressor. (couldn't get it in the strut with the spring compressor I had) With the car on the ground, I eased off 3 top strut bolts. As I jacked up the car slowly the top strut plates came off the strut as I lifted the car. There is room under the front wheel wells to fully extend the strut and take out the spring. I put in Koni inserts, H&R springs (lower it) and Vorshlag camber/caster plates.

I basically reversed the removal - Lined everything up and used the weight of the car to compress the spring back into the strut.

Registered Member

Yes | No

that more or less dangerous then spring compressor

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information