+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 131286 craggd is an unknown quantity at this point craggd's Avatar

Yes | No

Rear shoulder seat belts

RealOEM shows a rear shoulder seat belt but my can does not have them. Was this an option? I can not locate a mounting point on the A piller am I just missing it? It it is not designed to accomodate shoulder belts has anyone added them? Thanks for any help, Dave'80 Euro 635
    '88 M5

jacob

Yes | No

Re: Rear shoulder seat belts

I ordered, though have yet to install, some 3 point belts for the rear of my Bav. Got the belts from Wesco Performance, and they also sell mounting bracket for the shoulder point. You will drill into the sheet metal and install the bracket through the hole so its on the inside of the metal (stronger). However, since I have yet to do it, I am can't vouch for how easy this may be. I haven't pulled back the headliner yet, but I would not be surprised if there is a bolt for the shoulder mount. It feels like something is there...

Registered Member
    Member No: 131286 craggd is an unknown quantity at this point craggd's Avatar

Yes | No

Jacob, Thanks would be interested in what you learn. The bodyshop that I brought my car to indicated there was not a good mounting point for the shoulder belt without fabrication which could get costly. Some BMW's of the era have mounts in the trunk but again this would take a fair about of modification. Dave'80 Euro 635
    '88 M5

jacob

Yes | No

the kit from wesco comes with a shoulder mounting plate. you drill a hole large enough for the plate and insert it into the body (previously you drilled the holes to hold it in place as well). Then you have a threaded steel plate behind the sheet metal there. I will be doing this quite soon, and will get back and tell you how it worked out.

Registered Member
    Member No: 174291 jacobNYC is an unknown quantity at this point jacobNYC's Avatar

Yes | No

I peeled back the headliner and indeed there was a plastic plug with a phillips indentation. I unscrewed it out, and the shoulder point bolt fit perfectly.

I stopped the installation when I could not find the factory 'end' point for at the bottom door-side of the seat. See, there is the retractable housing which takes up a bolt (the one being used by the lap belt retractable side), but not another bolt that could find for the 'end'.
    I am thinking one can use that same bolt for both parts, but I may wait to bring the car to my mechanic for a tune-up and get his opinion.

Registered Member
    Member No: 174291 jacobNYC is an unknown quantity at this point jacobNYC's Avatar

Yes | No

images

Registered Member
    Member No: 175799 Toad is an unknown quantity at this point Toad's Avatar

Yes | No

yes

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information