+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 85914 jac is an unknown quantity at this point jac's Avatar

Yes | No

damage from improper nut torque?

Hi,

Other than damaging the rotors (i.e warping them), can lose lug nuts cause damage to other parts (e.g. wheels, hub, etc...)?

You see, the lug nuts were loose on all tires (long and painful story: dont ask!) and I did not notice it for a couple of days. Eventually I tightened and torqued them to spec.

However, soon after that (a month or two) the car developed vibration on the steering wheel when breaking from speeds over 55 mph.

Anyhow, I eventually replaced all the rotors, and the vibration went away mostly, but not completely. Now that the rotors are older, the vibration has gotten pretty bad again. So I am gonna buy new rotors/pads, but want to make sure I fix the root cause this time and not just cover up most of the symptoms.

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37503 robertplattbell is an unknown quantity at this point robertplattbell's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: damage from improper nut torque?

Loose lug bolts may gouge the wheels a bit. Check for wheel damage.

Vibration at speed can be a number of things (see my other post on this) including suspension (ball joint) wear.

Also, cheap pads can cause vibration problems when pad material sticks in one spot after heavy braking.

The old saw about having to "hand tighten" lug nuts with a torque wrench, lest the rotor "warp" is, IMHO, an urban legend. If you look at the construction of the rotors, it seems pretty impossible that differential torque on the thin rotor hat would cause the very thick rotor itself to warp.

Most of the time, it is cheap pad compound sticking to the rotors in spots which cause these vibration problems.

All that being said, using a torque wrench on lug nuts IS a good idea to make sure they aren't lose, which is what happened to you (and why tire stores always have two people check torque on lug nuts these days).

Rotors should be changed with every other brake job. Don't bother turning rotors and walk away from mechanics who suggest it. They are either good (use them) or bad (toss them). Turning them just makes them thinner.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information