+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 173895 boatguya1 is an unknown quantity at this point boatguya1's Avatar

Yes | No

Hard start 15mph max

My son bought a 1994 530I about a month ago. Ran good till a few days ago. Now he has to crank a couple times and sometimes hit gas to start and as of this morning 15mph max speed and poor running.
    I'm a long time recreational marine equipment tech but know nothing of BMW's. What is a good manual or website for specs and system overviews. I'm suspicious of low fuel pressure. What's the trick to getting the big plastic cover off the motor? I don't want to break anything. What type test port for fuel pressure/ will my standard fuel injection pressure test kit work with this car?
    Thanks in advance,
    James

Gruss

Yes | No

Re: Hard start 15mph max

There are 4 plugs on the top of the cover that pry out so you can get to the nuts to remove the cover. I believe they are 10mm nuts. Then you will be able to remove the left and right covers and see the fuel rails. You can use your fuel pressure test kit by removing the fuel line into the rail and using a T to hook your kit up with the fuel line. The correct fuel pressure should be 51 +/-0.9. The fuel pressure regulator is mounted on one of the rails.

I would agree with the low fuel pressure analysis.

The Bentley manual has been a great resource for my maintenance.

If you have any questions let me know.

Garry

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information