+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 109728 cellman is an unknown quantity at this point cellman's Avatar

Yes | No

Few issues...

Got a few issues with my 2004 M3 that I'm hoping you can assist with.

First is my OEM navigation system. Over the past two months, I've been getting errors that the (map) DVD cannot be read and that it is incorrect. After a few times it finally can read the DVD and we're all good. The frequency of this read error has been increasing until a few days ago and it has not been able to read the DVD whatsoever.

I have tried my original map DVD and a backup copy and neither is being read. In the split screen view, my GPS signal strength is good and the system knows my coordinates, so that's great. It just doesn't pick up my DVD.

Any clues? Do I need to reset the system and if so, how? Is the DVD unit busted or does it need cleaning, servicing?

I scanned the first 200 search results, but didn't find any answer. I'm stumped. How do I fix this?

Next, my tires need replacing (I have OEM 19s). What concerns me is that I've only put about 32,000 km on them and they're almost bald. Is that normal wear?

Finally, after two years of my little one kicking the back of my seat, I cannot clean the scuff marks with soapy water and a cloth. Any suggestions on how to remove scuff marks?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cellman

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

The tire wear sounds about right.

The tires on these cars are softer material than more traditional commuter cars. For me, my rear tires wear out before the fronts. I have gotten 20k miles out of a set before, probably average something in the 15k to 20k mile range. I have just over 100k miles, and 6 sets sounds about right. If you track the car, the tires wear out faster, obviously.

I do not have a nav, so can not comment.

I never use the back seats either, so I can't speak to the seat cleaning, but I assume you are talking about the plastic bucket of the seat? What color are your seats there? If black, might want to try "back to black" from Mothers.

Pelerojo

Yes | No

Re: Few issues...

Try a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a cleen cotton cloth. It will even remove ink as I found out.

Registered Member
    Member No: 175176 lbechard is an unknown quantity at this point lbechard's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Few issues...

I purchased my 2003 E46 M3 from a dealer outside of Chicago with the Navigation option but no DVD. I ordered an OEM DVD and found out that it did not load. Sounds like the same problem that you have because I also get the GPS coordinates. I took it to my local BMW dealer and he confirmed that the Navigation computer was broken and quoted me $2000 to replace it. I found a person in California selling new OEM Navigation computers on eBay for $450. I have not pulled the trigger on that purchase. Sorry for your trouble. Misery loves company.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information