+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 169731 midnightsv is an unknown quantity at this point midnightsv's Avatar

Yes | No

Front suspension

I've read what I could find regarding front suspension, in particular upper (thrust) arms/bushings...However, I have further interest!
    I'm sure there owners who tries polyurethane (solid) bushings.
    I'd like to hear form said owners on methods of installation and results after install. I don't need detailed point by point process, I would like to know nuances of such installation!

P.S it seems as if bushing (solid one) fits inside the metal sleeve. Is it true or it fits inside the arm itself after old bushing is removed?

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 147046 dusty21 is an unknown quantity at this point dusty21's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Front suspension

Yes, the bushings have an outer metal sleeve. It requires
    a special press to remove and install new bushings and they
    must be alligned correctly.

Rather than buying the bushings seperately, and chasing
    around for a shop with the correct knowledge and equipment to do this task, I simply purchased new control arms from bavauto.com who have
    a wide selection of bushings. Cost about $140 each.

They are not too hard to install, most difficult part
    is seperating the ball joint from the strut, I had to rent
    a tool to do that.

Registered Member
    Member No: 169731 midnightsv is an unknown quantity at this point midnightsv's Avatar

Yes | No

thank you for ur post...
    however you didn't clarify wheter you were refering to rubber ones or polyurithane ones...
    I have done suspension work on my E34, I learned few thing...
    I am interested in POLYURITHANE BUSINGS only ... and performance results POLYURITHANE buhings provide...plus nuanses on how to install POLYURITHANE bushins ONLY...
    Cheers...

Gruss

Yes | No

Do you have a source for the polyurethane bushings so we can see what type they are? What has your interest in them?

You have to remove the old bushing and press in the new one. I would assume this is true even with polyurethane bushings.

Registered Member

Yes | No

BAVAUTO sells polyurithane bushings...
    My previous experince with polyurithane bushes was quite pleasant. Infiniti Y33 ues torque rods to stabilize front control arms. After installation of solid bushings, there was no more of loppy front suspension even though all bushings werein good shape... Polyurithane bushes offer tighter steering. Although I wouldn't use Polyurithane in lower control arms, I d prefer Polyurithane for upper arms to contol latteral contol of front struts ...

Gruss

Yes | No

Then order the urethane bushings from BAV. The bushings have to be pressed into the control arm a certain way and then you tighten the control arm bolts when the weight of the car has them loaded. You could have the bushings installed by any independent that works on BMW's.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I've called`BavAuto, talked to a rep. There is no need to align POLY bushing when installing it...
    I am so getting them....
    Cheers!

"Urethane bushings offer much more precise steering response in addition to being more durable than the stock rubber bushings. 2 bushings required per car, sold individually.
    Part Number Description Price Qty.
    AD601
    Bavarian Autosport Upper Control Arm Bushing - Urethane - Sold individually, 2 required

$37.95

"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information