+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 174130 TheSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point TheSeeker's Avatar

Yes | No

Any Other Key Fob Reprogramming Methods?

My remote key fobs quit working.

I did the obvious first and replaced the batteries.

Then I attempted the reprogramming method listed here....

Turn ignition key 4 times, listen for a chime, etc. I followed the directions to the "T". The only type of chiming I hear is the door ajar chime. Pressing any button on the remote within ten seconds doesn't cause any acceptance chime. Basically, it didn't work.

My X-type is a 2004, so I am wondering if there is a different method I should be trying (outside of paying the dealership)?

Or....could there be another problem such as the receiver in the car going bad, a wire that came unplugged, or a fuse I've overlooked.

flyfishnX

Yes | No

Re: Any Other Key Fob Reprogramming Methods?

I actually replaced the batteries and programmed my fobs yesterday on my 04. They hadn't worked since I've owned the car and it went well. Well, almost well.

I did the I/II 4X on the first fob and it was good. The second didn't take at all. I opened the fob, checked the manual and the battery was in upside down. I put the new battery in as I found the old one. Flipped the battery and now both work. I also pinched he battery contacts gently so a better connection was made inside. Make sure ALL the battery contacts are strong and be sure the battery is in the right way. If the car is only new to you, some guy before you may have put the battery in backwards and you just followed his lead. It is nice to FINALLY have such a simple thing working.

TheSeeker

Yes | No

Re: Any Other Key Fob Reprogramming Methods?

I appreciate just HOW much I relied on that now of course!

Anyhow...I did double and triple check the battery orientation and cleaned the inner contacts even before I tried reprogramming.

I'm just getting no response from the car at all when I try.

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

make sure you follow this EXACTLY.

Action:
    To program the remote transmitter(s) without using WDS, follow the procedure outlined
    below.
    Note: When carrying out the alarm remote programming, ensure that
    no other vehicles within a 50 meter radius are undergoing the same
    programming procedure, as this could affect the programming
    operation.
    Note: All required remote transmitters must be available when
    carrying out this procedure.
    1. Open driver’s door.
    2. Turn the ignition switch to the ‘auxiliary’ position, then turn the ignition switch to the
    ‘ON’ position and back to the ‘auxiliary’ position four times.
    Note: A chime from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) will indicate
    programming status has been enabled.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to ‘OFF’ position.
    4. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
    5. To program the transmitter, press any key within 10 seconds.
    Note: If the remote transmitter has been accepted, the GEM will
    make a chime.
    Page 2 of 2 Bulletin Number XT501-23 Date of issue 12/04
    6. If any other remote transmitters are to be programmed, press any button once on
    each transmitter within 10 seconds.
    Note: A maximum of four remote transmitters can be programmed to
    the vehicle at any one time.
    7. Close driver door.

TheSeeker

Yes | No

Re: make sure you follow this EXACTLY.

Thank you for the reply but, I printed out those same instructions and followed them to the "t".

All I get is the darn door ajar chime and no other sounds.

None of the functions on the key fobs work.

I'm beginning to think there's either a fuse that needs changing (although I haven't found one yet) or the receiver module in the car has gone kaput.

Any ideas on where the receiver unit is located?

Registered Member
    Member No: 58884 gnomeface is an unknown quantity at this point gnomeface's Avatar

Yes | No

The usual reason for the fob remote not working is that the little flap in the ignition barrel sticks open when you take the key out and the system thinks the key is still in - a little WD40 spray usually frees it. This still doesn't necessarily explain why the reprogramming won't work - unless of course it needs a "fresh" key insertion before it will let you in to the programming sequence.

Apologies if this has already been covered.

TheSeeker

Yes | No

I'm pretty much stumped at this point so I appreciate your input and will give it a go.

TheSeeker

Yes | No

I checked this out last evening armed with my WD-40 and the little flap was partially stuck open.

After spraying, it seemed to close better.

However, it now brings up another question....

The "flap" doesn't close off the ignition slot completely. It seems to only close off the bottom 3/4ths leaving the top 1/4th open. Is there supposed to be an upper and lower flap or only one that closes from the bottom upward? Also, should it close off the opening completely?

Registered Member
    Member No: 58884 gnomeface is an unknown quantity at this point gnomeface's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ignition Barrel Flap

I checked mine (2001) - the flap does not fully cover the hole; it leaves a gap of 20-25% of the depth uncovered, at the top. Sounds as if yours is the same.

My remote has always worked OK and the flap has never stuck open so I'm out of ideas - other than to try the reprogramming sequence again. Good luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 174130 TheSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point TheSeeker's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ignition Barrel Flap

Thank you for confirming that for me though. Without another car to compare to, I couldn't be sure.

I sort of thought it was OK since the chime that tells you that you've left the key in the ignition would go on and off when it was inserted.

TheSeeker

Yes | No

So...I finally was able to get this method to work, partially anyhow.

I guess I was switching back and forth from I to II too slowly. When I did it quickly, I got the chimes as expected and a response chime when I pressed a key fob button.

The only problem I now have is that of the two fobs I wanted to reprogram, only one would could be done.

Since I've placed new batteries in both of them, and have made sure the batteries were installed correctly, I'm at a loss as to why one took the reprogramming and one didn't.

Registered Member

Yes | No

The Plot Thickens....

As mentioned above, I successfully reprogrammed only one of the two remote fobs.

Since I could only get one to reprogram, I figured the problem had to be in the remote key fob itself....possibly a solder connection had broken or something similar.

While at my local auto parts store, I noticed they had a remote key fob tester on the counter meant to try and sell people new batteries. I happened to have the one faulty fob with me at the time so I tested it using their tester. It tested OK. I tested the one that works with the car and it tested exactly the same.

Therefore, there is something unknown preventing me from being able to reprogram that one fob.

Mind you - this key does work in the ignition and is an original that came with the car so the problem cannot be the chip either.

Any thoughts? Any and all are welcome!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information