+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 162409 micky000 is an unknown quantity at this point micky000's Avatar

Yes | No

That dreaded whine X type 2004

This is my first post although I have been reading all the problems others have had with the whine associated with the X Type.My whine appears when I am coasting more evedent when descending a hill if I accelerate it disappears I found a post re greasing the bearing but can't find it now? wonder if this would fix the whine?any advice would be appreciated

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

Driveshaft bearing is normally a cold temp prob

seems unlikely that this is the noise.

more likely a TC problem. have you checked the oil in it?

Registered Member
    Member No: 146652 mrlance is an unknown quantity at this point mrlance's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: That dreaded whine X type 2004

Is it from the back end? I would fathom it being a differential whine myself (noise doesn't appear when the drive train is undergoing positive loading or acceleration? only when driving without any throttle?)

TheSeeker

Yes | No

Re: Driveshaft bearing is normally a cold temp pro

I'm new here and certainly not an expert on X-types. I also haven't read the other threads about this whining.

However, in general, a whine such as you describe is a differential whine. This is especially true and almost normal if your car has a manual transmission.

You didn't mention if the car is an automatic or manual. Or, how many miles are on it.

It never hurts to lubricate, so I would grease your central carrier bearing anyhow. Then I would drain and refill the differentials and transfer case with the proper fluids.

Registered Member
    Member No: 162409 micky000 is an unknown quantity at this point micky000's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for all the advice. My X type is auto and has travelled 95km's
    The whine only appears when the car has warmed up it is very quite when cold and a joy to drive the whine as mentioned is more noticable when descending a hill but also is there at 70km's
    I will change oil's as suggested how do you get at the bearing to grease it I have read in the forums that you need a needle on the end of a grease gun and there were pic's posted but I cannot find them now?

TheSeeker

Yes | No

Since it's quiet when cold and starts as it warms-up, it's probably not your carrier bearing.

Sounds more like the differential. If you've never had it serviced, then it is definitely a good idea to do that.

Again though, it never hurts to lube things you can do yourself.

Here's the link to the explanation about how to grease that bearing:
    http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_x_type/8740575-1.html

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re info driveshaft bearing

Thanks for help and info will have the Jag stealers do a service on transmission and let you know how it turns out

Registered Member
    Member No: 173874 Dennis1 is an unknown quantity at this point Dennis1's Avatar

Yes | No

Greasing Propshaft bearing

GREASING Propshaft Center Support Bearing:

As you all know, this seems to be a common problem with the X-type (all years) and many have replaced their entire Prop shaft as a result of the Center Support bearing failing or begins to howl, vibrate and whine.

Mine was not showing any signs of failure or noise, so this was preventive maintenance to prolong it's life...
    I found the bearing outside caked in hardened old grease and there was surely not much left inside..I cleaned both sides off, so I could make out where the rubber seal and bearing housing met..the front side (side towards the front of the car) had no visible entry points or means of penetrating to inject grease...The back side (side facing the rear of the car) has little notches in the rubber seal on the edge where it meets the metal bearing casing..I injected grease at these notches, at 6 o'clock, 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions until grease oozed out the other side...

TOOLS and SUPPLIES

*Standard Grease Gun

*Grease Gun HOSE about 18" long

*18 Gauge Grease Injection Needle

Registered Member
    Member No: 146652 mrlance is an unknown quantity at this point mrlance's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Greasing Propshaft bearing

When I did this, my car looked like in the pictures, but the notches were actually on the outside of the ring, but where a notch was on the outside there was a space to insert the needle on the inside. I didn't see any rubber seals, it looked the same as in the pictures aside from the notch. I'm guessing any rubber that was on there dried and cracked off long ago.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Greasing Propshaft bearing

Thanks Dennis for the post on greasing the propshaft bearing It will be a job for the weekend

mohrd

Yes | No

May have been solved by '04 but sounds like this?

Are you getting any vibration or just the whine?

There was an old TSB on 70mph decleration whine from rear diff but I believe it was solved by '04 MY. Basically all they did was add some whell weights to the diff housing to try and "rebalance" it.

X-TYPE

DATE 08/01

MODEL
    2002 MY-ON
    X-TYPE

VIN
    C00001-ON

Whine on Deceleration at 112 Km/h/(70 MPH) - Rear Differential - Add Weight to Differential Bracket

Issue:

Some 2002 MY X-TYPE vehicles may experience a whining noise from the differential on deceleration at speeds of around 112 Km/h/70 mph. This bulletin provides a procedure to "retune" the differential mounting bracket by adding mass (weight) to it.

Action:

In case of a customer complaint of the above condition on a 2002 MY X-TYPE remove and retune the differential mounting bracket as outlined in the following procedure.

MODIFICATION PROCEDURE

1. Raise vehicle.

2. Remove rear wheels and tires.

3. Remove the rear differential. Refer to JTIS, section: 205-02 SRO 51.25.13.

4. Remove the rear sub frame from the vehicle. Refer to JTIS, section: 502-00 SRO 64.25.01.90.

5. Remove the differential mounting bracket to rear sub frame securing bolts.

6. Remove the differential mounting bracket from the rear sub frame assembly

7. Clean outer ends of the differential mounting bracket with cleaning fluid.

8. Cut the two 120 g strips of wheel weights into four 60 g strips, remove backing tape and apply wheel weights to the differential mounting bracket (Illustration 1).

Note: Firmly push along the full length of the wheel weight strips to ensure good adhesion to the differential mounting bracket.

9. Reinstall the differential mounting bracket to the rear sub frame.

10. Install the securing bolts for the differential mounting bracket. Torque figure 106 Nm.

11. Reinstall the rear sub frame to vehicle. Refer to JTIS, section: 502-00.

12. Reinstall the rear differential. Refer to JTIS, section: 205-02 SRO 51.25.13.

13. Perform the under body misalignment check in JTIS, section 502-00 SRO 64.25.01.90.

14. Reinstall rear wheel and tire assemblies.

15. Lower vehicle.

Parts Information

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: May have been solved by '04 but sounds like this?

Many thanks for your input There is no viberation just the whine I have had a service since my original post and changed all oils and spark plugs as my Mechanic advised that in his experience changing plugs make a difference in making the x type run smoother he didn't say it would fix the whine 'I trust my Mechanic' and certainly my car is driving much quiter and I haven't heard the whine so far? may be this is due to oil change's but after a $1000+ I am happy with the outcome hope it has fixed the whine?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information