+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 75514 rfritz is an unknown quantity at this point rfritz's Avatar

Yes | No

Radio Code issues - venting

I recently changed out the battery in my 01 Z3 3.0 Coupe, and naturally lost my BMW Business CD radio. I need to continue reading through the archives for possible help...but honestly...I can't believe how many posts there are in this forum, and posts found as a result of a Google search, for BMW Radio Code issues!!

What a friggin POS.....what a waste of time....what a poor design that so many people have spent soooo much time on this little BS issue...frankly, I wish that BMW had left this so-called security "feature" off of their radios....I imagine that the archives would be alot smaller without all of these radio codes posts!!

Sorry for the rant...but this just pisses me off to waste time on such a stupid little issue.

Fluke/CapeCod

Yes | No

Re: Is it a Blaupunkt or Alpine first agenda

Blaupunkt-USA service department gave me my code. But they need all your serial numbers and what ever else is printed on the radio casing..

Jet

Yes | No

I don't really see what the problem is.

DG2

Yes | No

Seems like issue is prev. owners losing the code

It's kind of amazing how often this happens. You buy a used vehicle. It's missing key codes, radio codes, and comes with only one key, which may not be an original. The owner's manual may also be missing. Why can't people keep track this stuff? (As far as owner's manuals, some end up on ebay.) I imagine there are occasions when people trade in their car on the spur of the moment and all the bits and pieces at home don't go with the car.

I think it's probably correct that the security added by having radio codes is minimal. It's possible to call some dealers and get the code without proving you own the radio/car. That is, of course, very convenient if you can get a code by phone, and I had to do it after buying my car also.

The "dealer gave me the wrong code" issue is also extremely common. (Happened to me also, and I had to contact a 2nd dealer to get the real code). It seems that BMWs code retrieval computer system is too complex for the dealers. My local dealer INSISTED that there is only one code available (Alpine) from their computer system and if it didn't work, my only option at that point was to replace the "defective" radio. ("Sir, the code we provided was correct, and I don't care what you read on the internet, there are not multiple codes available").

If it weren't through forums like this, replacing the radio might have been what I ended up doing. So the numerous posts on the matter are of value. Plus, once you get the right code, and find a way to not lose it, the whole matter ceases to be a problem.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75514 rfritz is an unknown quantity at this point rfritz's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW Business CD - code issue resolved!!

Hey All,

Thanks to everyone's advice both on this forum as well as the Z3 forum, as well as some lucky finds in the archives, I was able to piece together enough info to verify the radio serial number using the radio display, and then changed the 'area' to AREA EUROPE, successfully entered the 4 digit radio code from my BMW card, and then changed the BMW Business CD back to AREA USA.

It was a hassle..but thanks to previous archived posts, and current insight, I now have a working radio...thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information