+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 69791 MezzyMarv is an unknown quantity at this point MezzyMarv's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm in the market for 325, Which model is better?

I've been craving to get a 325 but don't know which one to focus on. I've been looking around for the year 1987 -1991. They do have different types such as 325, 325i 325is or the 318's. What are the differents between these cars? Please help....

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

318 is a 4 cyl and the others are the small six. I

don't know the details of those engine variations as I stick to the big six engines myself.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106174 badcabbage02 is an unknown quantity at this point badcabbage02's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 318 is a 4 cyl and the others are the small six. I

318i or "is" (89-92) hands down.

The M40 engine in my 318is was a 4 cyl, but w/4 valves/cylinder and a timing chain (not a timing belt found on the 325s) - no breakage issue/. The 318is with a 5 speed I think is one of the best cars BMW ever made, with good power, and gas mileage. The car was trimmed down esthetically without those dated protruding ugly aluminum bumpers to a trim and sleak treatment. It looked nice.

The only reason I sold mine is I bought a 2000 528i (needed 4 doors and more room)

I always viewed my 318is as the heir-apparent to the 2002tii.

It was a strange car though in that Munich shoved its M40 engine in the E30 chassis seemingly on an experimental basis - the engine sits lower than others and thus watch out for protruding road hazards like very high manhole ports or curbs -if you inadvertantely drive over one you could easily crack your 2 piece oil pan.

You cannot find a dedicated maintenance book on the car - most books on E30s (83-92) are dedicated the bulk of the cars - the 6 cylinders. This is an easy sacrifice considering how great the car is.

If you buy one, consider checking the rubber sections of the fuel lines under the labyrinth of injection. I replaced my vacuum hoses and discovered the fuel lines were on the verge - having been 18 years old and resting on the engine block. Have read many a horror story of engine fires consuming the whole vehicle. A simple fix requiring a lot of time and patience.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

check reggie'smotorworks.com for a nice 1989

325is 5 speed. I deal with Reggie all the time and trust him completely. This particular car is owned, as the ad says, by a friend. It is a very nice car. I also have an 87 325e which has been a great car, and Reggie found it as an identical replacement of our 325e which finally succumbed after 300k. I bought a wrecked 91 318is from Reggie and swapped the m42 et al into my 76 2002, and it's been absolutely reliable and a treat to drive without any problems for over a year now. If you are near Indianapolis you should check it out. Reggie is getting a nice little business going parting and selling e30's. He's also great for other parts. Sorry for the blatant testimonial, but I wouldn't for just anyone. When I find someone as nice to work with, I like to pass it on, and he is a good one for finding an e30. Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Good advice. The '91 m42 and 5 speed I put in my

2002 are just hot rod stuff out of the can. Nice header, and you can use the later coils on the plugs, pull out the ugly coil pack on the fender and make just about all the wiring disappear, leaving a nice, clean engine bay. Polish the cute little twin cam cover, and the intake, remove the serpentine intake coolant plumbing, and it looks better than anything the Alfa designers could build, and those engines looked good back then. Mounted in the 2002, I can't think of anything better, other than a bigger six, but this is what a 2002 could be if produced today. Despite all the work, I do recommend it as the most logical update, other than electric. Still, as mentioned above, the gas mileage is a respectable 30 mpg, even with fun driving. It has a similar pull at highway speeds as my 635 did, but a much lighter feeling.

I certainly recommend an E30eta from the late 80's. We've had a couple, and with the 5 speed, the mileage is quite good, the handling is fun if the suspension is rebuilt, and the acceleration is satisfactory, even if it feels a little like pushing the pedal on a pickup truck, it goes respectably in traffic. A good car, and parts and maintenance are not a problem. 80's BMW's are really easy and fun to work on, "old school" stuff. Later, Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 175752 NayC is an unknown quantity at this point NayC's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 318 is a 4 cyl and the others are the small six. I

Right, to clear this up.

E30s have quite a number of models.
    316 - M10 engine, 1.8L, carb'd, only available in prefacelift (although a RARE few where made in facelift shells)
    316i - M40 1.6L injection
    318i - M40 1.8L injection
    318is - M42 1.8L injection. A modern interpretation of an M40, but 16v rather than 8v. Good engine.
    320i - M20, Smaller of the 2 six cylinders. Bit of a slow 12v porker.
    320is - S14 2.0L 4 pot. 16v. Smaller version of the M3 engine for places like italy and portugal. Rare as......
    323i - M20, 6 pot, 2.3L only available really really early on.
    325i - M20, bigger six pot. Roughly 171-180bhp when new. 2.5L, best engine.
    M3 - 2.3L s14 4 pot.

There where others like the 325i with a 2.7 build for hartge and alpina.

There are haynes manuals for all the models, not just 6 pots.

Only american models had those gash aluminium bumper extensions.

Every manual E30 is 5 speed. The 318is is the M42 engine (most modern engine available) and contains some special goodies like the iS lip, m-tech suspension and sport seats. Considered to be one of the best E30s... but falls just short of a genuine 325i Sport.

Hope that clears some things up.

J.

Yes | No

Re: I'm in the market for 325, Which model is better?

Got a LOADED red 1987 325is with the gold basket BBS.
    Findanza Flywheel, and Sachs Auto-X clutch, and suspension done up.
    I am extremely happy with the performance..
    thinking of letting her go due to tuff times.

If you would like a pic go'head and email me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information