+ Reply to Thread
    Danl P

Yes | No

'95 E38 intermitant 9but VERY repeatable) stalling

For you ace diagnosticians .......

This is a very repeatable but intermitantr stalling problem. It ONLY happens after the car is driven about 1/2 mile ------ when first started, the car is fine; after the 1/2 mile problem (if the car does not die) it again is fine.

Typical scenario: Start car (fine), start driving (fine), come to a stop light. While waiting, the RPM suddenly increases to about 1,000 (jerking the car forward). When that happens, I know i have a problem - almost ANY gas pedal and the engine will die, after which it will not start again until it has 'rested' for 10 or 15 minutes (after which it is fine). If i REALLY baby the throttle and can get the car up to 10 or 15 mph, and VERY slightly give it gas, it will get past the problem and again be fine. But, any significant throttle during that period of time and the engine 'coughs' and will happily stall.

Have already replaced the idle valve - no change.

Any thoughts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: '95 E38 intermitant 9but VERY repeatable) stalling

There are few thing need to check and replace... one, will be to check spark plugs and replace with OEM. Check engine management... one would to replace cam position sensor, and replace the crankshaft position sensor, which seat on front pulley by water pump, and it is possible it has been moved [rarely but happens]. Clean out MAF... use electric cleaner fluid. Also, clean the ICV [idle control valve]... if there are more questions... let me.

"Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

Danl P

Yes | No

Re: '95 E38 intermitant 9but VERY repeatable) stalling

Claudio - thanks for responding

Though there might be a clue in the fact this is so VERY repeatable.

Problem ONLY happens after the car id driven the first 1/2 mile. No problem before that or after that (presuming I do not stall the car and get thru the short time when it wants to cough & stall).

Seems during that problem period ANY throttle causes the car to cough & die.

Maybe some part of the warm up cycle?

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you checked and cleaned the ICV?

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Here is the other possible problem

Well... if so, it is possible that bowden cable under throttle body may have been stretch or moved. This cable runs from the left wheel well side of the engine to the throttle... if you adjusted this cable my suggestion is to replace with a new because it possible that the plastic piece that holds cable in place is busted... the cable is cheap from the BMW dealer parts dept...

"Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information