+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 175206 richrichter is an unknown quantity at this point richrichter's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

IMS failure..... Legal Action To Proceed

I am looking fo people that have had IMS failure ..... in or out of warranty. I will be meeting with a law firm in Toronto at the end of July to start proceedings against Porsche in a class action suite for full compensation of the replacement cost of a new engine. Please reply if you want to be on the list. P.S. even if you have paid for one out of pocket.
    Rich

Registered Member
    Member No: 177751 boxsterjoe999 is an unknown quantity at this point boxsterjoe999's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: IMS failure..... Legal Action To Proceed

Any progress on this ? The engine on my 2003 Boxster S with under 40,000 km just failed. IMS problem. Need a new engine from Porsche ($15,000), otherwise vehicle is worthless. I am pissed !!

Registered Member
    Member No: 152386 jackpjr is an unknown quantity at this point jackpjr's Avatar

Yes | No

My car just seized up Friday and everyone is telling me it is this ims and I need a new engine. Any luck with your case?

Registered Member
    Member No: 152386 jackpjr is an unknown quantity at this point jackpjr's Avatar

Yes | No

Registered Member
    Member No: 75206 fluhrer is an unknown quantity at this point fluhrer's Avatar

Engine failure victims may find a sympathetic ear by sending accounts of their problems to Joe White, a Wall Street Journal auto writer ([email protected]). The only thing that may cause Porsche to make good on this problem is bad publicity. That's what happened with Toyota. The more engine failure stories that get to the media, the better the chance of a story appearing. It only takes a few minutes to send an e-mail to this reporter.

Alex

Yes | No

I am involved in a similar case in Las Vegas, Nevada in the US. The case is live right now. Is anyone else involved in a currently pending case?

Registered Member
    Member No: 181945 Luis_76 is an unknown quantity at this point Luis_76's Avatar

Yes | No

I just both 2001 boxter 6 months ago and i just began hearing grinding noises. I never knew of problem or i would have not even bothered with car. I would like to hear if any one been succesful with legal action.

Registered Member
    Member No: 182622 paczkowski is an unknown quantity at this point paczkowski's Avatar

Yes | No

I have an 02 Boxster I purchased it from a dealer in 04. They had to switch my engine at 27000. Metal fragments were found in the engine. Plus my car was dealer serviced all the time also and Now I have the new engine that just crapped out at only 53000. IMS failure. Terrible. After I had done all my reserch it seems that porsche replaced my last engine due to IMS.

I am just starting this. My car just ceased on July 22 on my way to a job interview. Now I live in NJ and my car is stuck in Boston, MA.

Of course, Porsche of America said they can't do anything. They cited out of warranty, age of car & high mileage as the reasons. Who knew that 53k on a new Engine & 80k overall is considered high mileage on a car?

Between poor customer service at the dealership where my car has always been serviced and the poor service from the main in Atlanta, I'm left with no choice but to contact the press, BBB & to start shopping for lawyers here in NJ. How is your lawsuit coming along?

keith corbett

Yes | No

2003 boxster ims failure 04/07 at 31000 miles, engine replaced under warranty.

Registered Member
    Member No: 185698 dmatz is an unknown quantity at this point dmatz's Avatar

NHTSA and IMS

MY 04 Boxster (58K) just suffered what appears to be IMS failure (still awaiting postmortem). This is a defect which should have led to a recall, and Porsch dealer employess have admitted as much to me. Recalls are triggered by complaints to the NHTSA. NHTSA complaints and investigations can be researched at their website: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners . Complaints can easily be filed there. Between MY 2000 and 2010 there were only 6 IMS failures reported with std or S Boxsters: 1 in 02, 4 in 03, 1 in 04 - not enough to trigger an investigation, much less a recall. I assume this is the tip of the iceberg. If everyone with IMS failures went to that website and filed a complaint, perhaps an investigation might be triggered. The person I talked to at NHTSA, when I described the IMS failure, said "tell your friends".
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 75.33.138.194

Registered Member
    Member No: 143965 OnRadar is an unknown quantity at this point OnRadar's Avatar

Yes | No
    WOW, I just posted on this subject as I found out about it today, then read further down and saw your post. I just brought my 02 Boxster S in for the 30k service and was told about this issue and how to take preemptive precautions...to the tune of $2800. I have not decided if I should spend the $ or not. Is there any more hard data on the # of cars that have had this IMS failure?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.13.252.247

User Level 1
    Member No: 199614 DuaneK is an unknown quantity at this point DuaneK's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hi Rich, I am in Alberta, my 2005 Boxster just packed it in from the IMS. Not sure where you are at with this. Total estimate from dealer was 27k to fix. They alluded that if I went ahead with it Porsche "might" agree to cover 25%. Right now I am planning on advancing a claim in small claims court which has a 25K limit here in Alberta.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 207.229.10.238

User Level 1
    Member No: 200367 II is an unknown quantity at this point II's Avatar

Yes | No
    Letters and or notices were sent to owners of Porsche Boxsters concerning the IMS bearing / shafts , I think you first had to get the work done and send in the cost of the repairs cause i have a 2001 Boxster Manual and it was not on the list but i did received a notice
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.39.39.115

User Level 1
    Member No: 199614 DuaneK is an unknown quantity at this point DuaneK's Avatar

Yes | No
    My Boxster was regularly serviced at the Porsche dealership up until the IMS failure. Up to that point we received regular mailings from both the dealer and Porsche Canada on differnt offers, service suggestions and so on. Nothing was ever sent out about the IMS, nor was it ever mentioned by the dealer. A pre-litigation demand letter has been sent and there has been some discussions. If it is not resolved before the end of this month we are filing.

This is a direct quote from our local dealers web-site: " We will provide regular safety inspection when your vehicle is in for maintenance, and will notify you of any potential (or existing) problems that will lead to expensive repairs if not taken care of." Kinda speaks directly to the point of this whole thing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 207.229.10.238

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information