+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 175343 Frnzkchar is an unknown quantity at this point Frnzkchar's Avatar

Yes | No

Radio Nightmare

NEWBIE HERE, Ok let¡¦s start at the beginning..... I have a peach of an E39 97 540i, I had professionally install 2 independent DVD headrest units, an amp, and sub all for the love of the grandkids comfort when traveling with us. ABSOLUTLY AWESOME...... RIGHT...... TRUE>>>>>>
    Until one day putting the old Lopez¡¦s (golf clubs) in the trunk bam bumped into factory amp.. Then the radio started to cut in and out usually when I pressed on brake pedal, or turned Left, turn signals also. When I would go over a bump in the road radio would come back on....
    Well after going for 3 weeks now without audio at all well just say $^&*&^%%$^(#%&*&^&*(.....
    I've spent the past 2 weeks researching cause and effect over the internet bringing me here there and everywhere.
    I'm a bit of an electric novice growing up with 4 boys as neighbors and having 4 grown sons all a/v & motor heads.
    First the reputable pros I hired the heck with them alright #$%^(%^&^*(&^ IDIOTS, didn't even get a scamatic of existing system wiring, they hacked into every wire for amp of the sub.
    This took me 2 hours to secured tape clean and reroute wires to proper lines as in L rear/ R rear cross over thing... I've dismantled both head unit and cassette unit factory amp. & cleaned all circuits and boards (Radio shacks cleaner lube)
    WOW I CAN ALMOST HEAR W/B CHANNEL 2. Still that¡¨s the only channel barely audible.
    Yes CD & Tape deck all engage nicely. All the cleaning and lube has even turned some of the pixels on OBC unit. I¡¦m even going to add a aux. jack for my mp3 player through the cassette deck.
    The true ????? I have is could the factory AMP be the culprit of all this no volume? It heats up pretty warm on just short runs to the grocery store. When I turn car on or off the speakers give a slightly audible thump, yes the volume is as high as it goes.
    PLEASE PLEASE ALL AND ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE VERY WELCOME, PRE THANKs TO YOU ALL¡K ƒº
    WORK HARD, PLAY HARDER, DRIVE FASTER

Registered Member
    Member No: 21537 sktn77a is an unknown quantity at this point sktn77a's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Radio Nightmare

The "golf bag" incident may be purely coincidental but they rarely are. Sounds like a crimped wire, crunched connection or whacked out amp. You should be able to pick up a used amp for $50 on ebay or Craigslist. If that doesn't fix it then you're going to need an expert radio tech to test all the volatges and connections.

:-(

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information