+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 122907 cgy540 is an unknown quantity at this point cgy540's Avatar

Yes | No

Help!! Transmission doesn't shift into higher gear

My '92 735i with 220K km/140k miles having tranmission problem. It had "Trans Programming" message showing earlier when I drive and rev the engine but after disconnecting the battery(6mo old) now that message has gone however shafting gear still doesn't change to higher 4th gear. When I drive and speed reaches over 100Km gear stays on 3rd and RPM doesn't drop as well. What should I look for in this situation?
    BTW new tranny oil/filter has been changed 8,000mi ago from local indy.

thanks guys!

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

first of all I would check if the indy did all

according to spec., that means the filling of the tramsission according the oil temperature. if that is not according to spec, nothing works.
    2ndly I would ask a BMW shop to make a DIS diagnosis so that they can read what is wrong. all other trials are just waste of time and money.Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 163317 dan02 is an unknown quantity at this point dan02's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Help!! Transmission doesn't shift into higher gear

I think your transmission goes into "limp mode".

Usually turning off the engine, wait a couple minutes and it will be fine, if not then disconnect the battery, short the cables and let it sit for a couple hours.. I have the very same problem (intermittent) and was so desperate that I was about to rebuild the trans or order a kit from Kirk Koehler... the last time when it happened I did the following and it is fine for more than a year now (keep my fingers crossed)

(not in specific order):

- remove and clean the TPS connector w. electronic cleaning fluid (Throttle Position Sensor)

- remove and clean the Trans Computer and the connector (below the right speaker passenger side). Also check for cracks and loose soldering.

I didn't find anything wrong w. the trans computer but I think that disconnecting and cleaning and the connectors restored some lost contact to and from the trans computer.

I hope this will help. Good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information