+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 175395 jmruk2 is an unknown quantity at this point jmruk2's Avatar

Yes | No

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter Replacement ?

I am a owner of a 740 al 02/97. Just a couple months ago my catalytic started to rattle and the check engine light went on. I was to lazy to do anything about the problem but right now that noise is so annoying that I can't even open my sunroof or window down. I decided to replace the catalytic but all OEM prices were outragous ! So I decided to look for some in the aftermarket replacement. In the last week , I think I read about hundreds and hundreds or posts about the magnaflow converter. After doing this here is my conclusion , don't waste your money and istall 94006 , 94005 , 94134 , or any converters like this because early or later on you wil have your lights on and your money will be gone. Sometimes you wont even come home from the muffler shop and your lights will be on. Some guy posted that this happened after two or three years but he was back to the beginning when it happened. All of these converters are 49 state and don't reach the California Tier1 emission test. Just go to your car , open the hood , and look at your emission label. All BMW's from 96 are designed to pass California emisson which means your computer is storing imformation about California's test. When you install the catalytic's above your back o2 sensors compares information with the same imformaton that is stored in the computer memory. CALIFORNIA STANDARD EMISSION. Your Catalytic converter will never reach that standard. What I ordered for my car is the Magnaflow OEM Grade Universal 46105 converter. It is designed to reach all OEM standards , California's Test , and prevents the check lights from going on. It cost me $135 each and I got them from www.performancepeddler.com with a coupoon code ( bestoffer4em). If you are replacing you converter only because it is rattling and making a bunch of noise then you don't need to waste your money and spend over $350 for a new sensor. You can pay more for that option but you will save more in the future.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Magnaflow Catalytic Converter Replacement ?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

If the catalytic converters are replaced with MagnaFlow 46105 in spite of being California loaded will not work. My experience with Magnaflow 46105 is that fail and it was necessary to replace with OEM catalytic converters... I purchase the OEM replacements from BMA Auto Parts [email protected]

"Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

Registered Member
    Member No: 175940 1997bmw740il is an unknown quantity at this point 1997bmw740il's Avatar

Yes | No

Claudio,

If I may, how do you know with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY what works and what does not? Are you a certified Bimmer mechanic or . . . ? I'm experiencing difficulty finding consensus on correct applications for my 97 iL and even the folks at Maganflow provide conflicting advice. I purchased 46006's that I have discovered do not fit. I want the CATS ONLY and the correct inflow/outflow diameters (which even Magnaflow cannot provide).

My car is OBDII non-Cali

Bimmer 740il

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Here are your options....

OPTION No. 1: "School of Hard Knocks"

OPTION No. 2: Murphy’s Law

OPTION No. 3: BMW Certification... I have a graduate degree with honors from the School of Hard Knocks, and to back-up… I am professional engineer with PhD, MBA, MS, MS, BS… plus professional certifications. However, there is no need to take my f... word because I wear size 13 shoes and I have kick too many a..holes for less. Also, have combat license with honors and my School of Hard Knocks doesn’t need to be challenge in public. So, everyone is free to take a choice and learned the f… lesson from the School of Hard Knocks or Murphy's Law as many others have done.

Be well,

TSF740iL

Yes | No

It has been more than a month. How have the Cats worked so far?

Registered Member

Yes | No

It will not be long before catalytic deficiency

triggers the error code... indeed, it works shortly but it will not be long before noticing the OBD error code...

P.Patrick 88M6/'00740iA
    Member No: P.Patrick 88M6/'00740iA's Avatar

Yes | No

LOL Claudio, spreadin the love!

Registered Member

Yes | No

As always providing authentication to benevolence

P.Patrick 88M6/'00740iA
    Member No: P.Patrick 88M6/'00740iA's Avatar

Yes | No

Approved! I suggest drinks, but we'd hurt somebody

Registered Member

Yes | No

Indeed drinks...

Indeed, sometimes it takes getting everyone drunk and belly-up before there is an understanding when simply nothing-else works right... ha!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 19217 copharr3 is an unknown quantity at this point copharr3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Here are your options....

I went with an aftermarket version from Vines Automotive in Alabama. It worked fine, but after a few hundred miles the CEL came on due to catalyst efficiency. The cat works fine from a pollution standpoint, but i have to deal with the CEL. Anyone try the cat from bavauto.com?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information