+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 7608 fred-330ci is an unknown quantity at this point fred-330ci's Avatar

Yes | No

looking for 6...any good guides or suggestions?

Can anyone point me to a buyers guide the the 6 series or honest threads that describe issues or things to be concerned about? various auto guide love the 6 series and rate them as fairly relaible (edmunds). Since they can be had starting in the 30's I am seriously considering buying another car!

The purchase price is very affordible but I am concerned with break fixes over the long term since I tend to keep em and drive em. The demographic of these cars is probably intended for those that have considerable disposable income and likely for these, the 6 is a weekend cars for the wine country tour, etc. I tend to be practicle and do not mind paying top dollar for the best but do not want to be slowly drained on something like a modern car that isnt going to return any investment. My 330 has been better than average for break fix, and so I'll keep it rather than give it away.

I test drove a 650i a couple of days ago and the idrive would not boot and either the salesman was a good actor or this happens often. I could not believe that he suggested the system needs a rest. The car had no issues other than this but I would like to educate myself further. I think this experience told me to go CPO car or no 6 series (or 7 or 5 for that matter).

Frankly, dsc, adaptive steering, and idrive have me concerned (anyone have any data on frequency and expenses in these?). I love technology and work in the technology sector but do not want to be hobbled by it!! My e46 dsc can cost as little as 150 dollars to 1600 for repair but is elementary compared to that on the 6. There are other complicated systems I am sure. I am not thrilled with run flats and may buy wheels and tires right away but that is another discussion!

Any help and direction that people could give would greatly be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 81954 pan is an unknown quantity at this point pan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: looking for 6...any good guides or suggestions?

I have had three BMWs in the last six years, 2003 745i, 2006 650i and now have a 2010 650i. Both 650 have adaptive steering and I love it. I have gone through the progression of the evolution of iDrive and the current incarnation is the best so far. It is not always intuitive but I like it a lot. It works well. It is like any computer once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

DSC can be turned off. However if you have ever had this car on a track you quickly learn the benefit of DSC for regular driving. On a track you may want to partially disable it (you can) so you can get a little more drift. If you want to totally disable it you can. A couple of years ago I went to Spartanburg, SC to attend the training BMW offers with the 650i. I drove on a wet skid pad much faster than I could without DSC. It works great and the car is amazing in normal driving.

If you get a new car you have 4 years of complete maintenance with the exception of tires. Other than the inconvenience of taking in the car and requesting a loaner it is painless. Any issues I've had have always been taken care off. I have no complaints and since I'm not paying for the repairs I never worry about getting ripped off.

Run Flats are a matter of opinion. Since there is no room for a spare it is nice to know you don't have to wait for a rescue. Unless you are a trained driver I'm willing to bet you would not be disappointed. If you are, then you may want to have a set for the track or take the risk of being stranded or give up your trunk to a spare.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to make sure if you buy used it is a CPO and you receive the car with the latest software installed. Other than that with each new BMW I've received there has been improvement in reliability. All of that improvement seems to come from the evolution of the software.

With almost 3,000 miles on my 2010 650i I not only have no complaints I'm already debating to either buy this car at the end of the lease in 2012 or get another new one.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: looking for 6...any good guides or suggestions?

No reason for iDrive not to boot up. Salesman BS. The car is a technological tour de force, but costly if not covered. I have 88k on my MY05 (645). Do not go older than a MY05. I would say MY06 or newer 650. Must get CPO and even then you could have out of pocket. As PAN said make sure part of the deal is latest software, just to be sure you are not stuck with really old software that could be lacking some true enhancements, although it has been pretty stable for several years. But other than personnal preferences I know of no real weak spots yet in any option or tranny configuration.

No real buying guides out there as it is too new for good long term history or becoming a collectors item where a lot of interest exists. Only a couple of configurations, and few options with perhaps one or two items added per year. If you compare the latest offerings / differences on BMW web site with standard equipment it would look pretty close to a MY06. The options list has gotten longer. Still get non auto enthusiests asking if this a new BMW model.

If you find a specific car your interested in give us the specs as they claim and maybe we can offer some helpful hints.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information