+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 31267 lmccann2 is an unknown quantity at this point lmccann2's Avatar

Yes | No

Cleaning baked-on brake dust from wheels

I just purchased some BBS RS wheels and am looking for ways to remove the baked-on brake dust from the inner barrels. I've done a search on the best method of getting this stuff off. Some suggestions have been:

-Eagle One A2Z Wheel Cleaner
    -ZEP Orange-Based Cleaner, diluted 50%
    -Clay Bar
    -Klasse All-In-One
    -Simple Green with a pad of ultra-fine steel wool

Everyone seems to agree to use the least aggressive method that works, in order to avoid harming the wheel finish. Which method is best, or does anyone have any other techniques? I paid big bucks for these wheels and don't want to do any harm when I'm cleaning them up.

Also, someone suggested to apply Rain-X to the inner barrels after I clean them, to make brake dust easier to wash off in the future. Has anyone actually tried this?

Thanks!

LarryM in SoCal

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Suggestion

Hello,

I use Sheen Genie metal polish. It is some what expensive but not really for the amount you get and what all it works on. It cleans and polishes but un-like 99% of polishes it uses no abrasives to do this so scratching or damaging your wheels is not in the equation. They even have a sealer which prevents brake dust from sticking to the metal and it last up to 6 months.
    It's about the only one out there that is non-abrasive but strong enough for your project. Use a terry cloth towel then put the sealer on with a micro-fiber.

Oh yeah the metal polish works on clear-coat as well cleans really but makes it look like glass is sitting on top of it.

<

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Tips

Oh yeah, DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL!
    This technique is only when you want to remove the clear-coat plus if you have no polish or anything in between the steel wool and the metal you will end up scratching it COMPLETELY!
    Not sure who told you that but do not use that technique!

Clay Bar-I don't think so that's for paint and it is hard so getting into the crevices is not going to happen lol.

Zep- that's mainly for in the house kinda of cleaning not heavy duty enough I would think.

Wheel Cleaner are mainly water down substances and are not real heavy duty.

Baked on brake dust is serious so you need to get serious product for this. Hmm, wondering something I thought you bought these new.. Guess not.

Do yourself a favor and check out Sheen Genie's Metal Polish! It always comes highly recommended by us enthusiast.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31267 lmccann2 is an unknown quantity at this point lmccann2's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks ...

I will check out Sheen Genie. And I won't use steel wool (sounded a little suspicious to me, too).

No, I didn't buy these new (the RS was discontinued many years ago) but they ARE beautifully restored. For some reason the inside barrels weren't refinished; I can't understand why someone wouldn't just do the entire wheel during a restoration process but I guess many people feel the inner barrels aren't worth restoring since they're not "visible" and will get messy again anyway. That's not MY philosophy.

Oh well...I'll do what I can.
    LarryM in SoCal

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Welcome

Yeah, or they were tired of working on them :)
    Sheen Genie will take care of you I know there polish and sealer will do the trick just email them and ask.

Good Luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 128470 gitchman is an unknown quantity at this point gitchman's Avatar

Yes | No

Larry don't waste ur time

I placed an ordered back in May, and still have not received anything. When I write to the a-holes (Derek) he keeps promising me I will get my order. They are full of [Oops!]. They like to take your money but never send you what you paid for. Spread the word I have already started SheenGenie are a bunch of lying theives. Don't waste us time and money.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Larry don't waste ur time

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I'm still looking at options, and there are many. I visited a local detailing/motorsport shop and bought some Zymol gel wheel cleaner (supposed to be very similar to P21S) and some P21S polishing soap; both are supposed to work well. I'll be trying them out first and will report back.

I visited the Sheen Genie website and wasn't too impressed.
    LarryM in SoCal

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

It's a reputable company I ordered~.

I would not listen to Steve because I bought Sheen Genie and it arrived in one day. I bet Steve sells metal polish or car care products!

Larry what do you mean not impressed Sheen Genie's website is the shiznit!

People... not even going to say....

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Steve

What the heck is your problem go talk bad about someone who does not have satisfied customers. Why would you just lie like that what metal polish product do you sell? Anyways you could have gotten a refund that's how I know your lying! They use PayPal if you do not get your product you can open a claim and if they do not provide shipping to your address you get your money back. You should really think before you write and spread lies.

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Re: Cleaning baked-on brake dust from wheels

Steve have you ever used metal polish or cleaner? From what you are saying it seems you have no idea what you need! I think it's funny you ask for advice then you bust someone up for it. I guess that's what people get these days for trying to help someone out. Instead of thank you or that is very nice you get I don't care thanks for nothing. I am done with this forum I hope they ban this account because it's not worth my time to come here anymore when people ask questions then do not listen to them or appreciate it. Peace you guys are idiots just like this forum!

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

anyways it's the same people looking at these threads noone comes here. You can go back and forth and refresh the page and it counts as a thread view. The website does that to make it look bigger than it is.

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

I have posted legitimate questions and have still not had answers. This forum reeks with people who know nothing about cars or detailing.

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Go to the waxforum for good information or a good forum.

I said Sheen Genie was great when you asked why I explained in very simple explanations but instead a thanks I get shut up.

Wow this forum is wack I;m out.

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Larry waster your time

because that's what your doing~!

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

Yeah and for the record you want my credibility look at my name chrome buffer I think I would know. I have this name on over 5 forums I actively belong to and any time someone has a question I know or about metal I answer it!

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

To prove I am not with Sheen Genie look at anothe rposting I made before I made one on yours. It's about tire shine a company clearly not connected now if I was selling sheen genie or was all about me why would I tell someone to go there?

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

This technique is only when you want to remove the clear-coat plus if you have no polish or anything in between the steel wool and the metal you will end up scratching it COMPLETELY!

Clay Bar-I don't think so that's for paint and it is hard so getting into the crevices is not going to happen lol.

Zep- that's mainly for in the house kinda of cleaning not heavy duty enough I would think.

Baked on brake dust is serious so you need to get serious product for this. Hmm, wondering something I thought you bought these new.. Guess not.

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

I just purchased some BBS RS wheels and am looking for ways to remove the baked-on brake dust from the inner barrels. I've done a search on the best method of getting this stuff off. Some suggestions have been:

-Eagle One A2Z Wheel Cleaner
    -ZEP Orange-Based Cleaner, diluted 50%
    -Clay Bar
    -Klasse All-In-One
    -Simple Green with a pad of ultra-fine steel wool

Everyone seems to agree to use the least aggressive method that works, in order to avoid harming the wheel finish. Which method is best, or does anyone have any other techniques? I paid big bucks for these wheels and don't want to do any harm when I'm cleaning them up.

Also, someone suggested to apply Rain-X to the inner barrels after I clean them, to make brake dust easier to wash off in the future. Has anyone actually tried this?

Thanks!

ChromeBuffer

Yes | No

welcome

your welcome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information