+ Reply to Thread
    Doctor Detroit

Yes | No

A/C clutch ground

I have the a/c compressor with a single wire to the a/c clutch. Does this mean that the a/c clutch is grounded through the compressor and engine block back to the battery? My a/c clutch won't engage and the area is all wet from a front oil seal leak. Both fans come on as they should with the switch and I see power to the clutch through the wire with a test light.

Any ideas?

Rick
    '87 535is, 5spd 280k

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes. A good clutch coil will have a resistance of

about 4 ohms. Measure it. Jump the coil with 12v and you can see the clutch plate pull in if it is OK (engine off). The signal comes from the temp controller by your right knee in the center console. My clutch shorted and fried the relay in the controller. They can short or fail open. Resistance measurement should give you an idea of the problem. The pressure switches on the Freon drier canister are also in the circuit and will disable the clutch on low or high pressure. Do you have gas in the system? Is the oil leak crankshaft or compressor shaft? If compressor then you lost gas and the pressure is low.

Doctor Detroit

Yes | No

Re: Yes. A good clutch coil will have a resistance of

It's an oil leak from the front crank seal. So this Friday I am going to drop the compressor and clean everything up and see if the clutch will then engage.

Rick

Rick Z

Yes | No

Is it worth it to convert from freon

Hi. I've just overhauled my '85 535i and took all of the A/C out figuring it wouldn't pay to convert everything to R28. Do you guys know what all has to be done? Does it require a refurbish on the compressor, as well as replacement of all hoses, o-rings, dryer etc? What doesn't need to be changed - small radiator, anything in the dash? Thanks a lot.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

What is R28? R12 cools best but is harder to get

than R134a. I went to 134a when I had to do other work. It does OK. I think you just need a flush and to use different oil and have the right amount of 134a weighed in. Different presure fittings.

Rick Z

Yes | No

Re: What is R28? R12 cools best but is harder to get

Sorry I meant R12. Thanks, might be worth getting the A/C working after all. RZ

Doctor Detroit

Yes | No

Re: Yes. A good clutch coil will have a resistance of

No such luck. Resistance of the clutch was around 2 ohmns.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information