+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 176168 gaelee is an unknown quantity at this point gaelee's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's the damage, what was the event?

This is particularly for the mechanics in the group.

My car was damaged in what l will refer to as an 'event.' My understanding is that the damage done to my car is quite common given this event. To prove my point, I thought I'd give you BMW's listing of the damages and see if any of you can guess what happened to cause it. All of this resulted from a single event. I'll let you know what happened to it after some discussion has occurred. I truly am interested in your ideas so please comment.

BTW, the car is an X3 and had 34,000 miles on it at the time. It was just out of warranty and was extremely well maintained. There was no other damage to the undercarriage of the caró no scrapes. I have no complaint with the dealership that took the car in. they simply recorded what they saw and fixed it. All of the damage is listed below. Here's what they wrote on intake:

Lifted vehicle and inspected the suspension. Found vehicle to be missing L/R lift support pad. I found the L/F tire to have a bubble in the outer sidewall and should be replaced. I found the left side control arm also to be bent. Vehicle will need tie rods and control arm replaced and then 4 wheel alignment will be necessary. Steering angle sensor will need to be calibrated and fault memory cleared. Provide L/F tire.

What do you think the event was? Again, I am most interested in hearing from the mechanics. If you could give a rationale for your answer, that would be great too.

Registered Member
    Member No: 18374 div2002 is an unknown quantity at this point div2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Here's the damage, what was the event?

The "event" was almost certainly a large pothole.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information