+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 83228 jsdiff is an unknown quantity at this point jsdiff's Avatar

Yes | No

very rough running when cold

Hi all, its been a while since i last posted on this forum, so here it goes:

I have a 320iS 1981, 5speed. 1.8 liter. The problem is: when cold she barely runs, i have to monkey foot the break and gas while pushing in the clutch to keep her running (idle is 200- and dies out before and after gas pedal is depressed. After she warm up to; N.O.T everything is great! Air/fuel is set to 1.0 w/OS disconected. When O/S is connected A/f drops to approx .6 to .9. When warm she idles very strong at 850rpm. I have install a MSD ingnition which is not a problem.

What can i do, or what is wrong pertaining to basically no run when cold?

any help would be great, ideas, thoughts, comments....anything ......Thanks,

john

Previously I had long tube headers on her and she was PERFECT!. I had to change back to stock cuz i need to sell her
    81 320is
    mods: Sterling Coated LT headers, Bilstein sport shocks and struts, Eibach Pro spring kit, AC removed, BAV gauge pod, MSD ingnition, polyurathane busings, Strut/Shock tower brace, rear mounted battery,K&N air filtration, Ansa Free Flow Muffler, Kosei K-1 racing rims

TJ

Yes | No

Re: very rough running when cold

So it won't idle when cold... but does it drive OK? Maybe the aux. air valve is stuck closed and it's not getting the extra air to maintain idle speed.

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks for the help i will check that tomorrow and post results.81 320is
    mods: Sterling Coated LT headers, Bilstein sport shocks and struts, Eibach Pro spring kit, AC removed, BAV gauge pod, MSD ingnition, polyurathane busings, Strut/Shock tower brace, rear mounted battery,K&N air filtration, Ansa Free Flow Muffler, Kosei K-1 racing rims

Registered Member

Yes | No

air slide valve is ops normal, in both mechnical and eletrical. Tested cold start valve in both aspects also with ops normal. Warm up regulator was swapped with used but have to assume it was working.
    Heat time switch was also ops normal. Bimmer starts right up, real quick, proper idle for about two seconds, drops down to approx 100rmp, then come back up to approx 400rpm. rev it , and with hesitation she kicks up, drops down to approx 400rpm then slowly coms up to normal idle. Once at normal op temp, everything is great!

I think she is possesed, or is not a morning person...err umm i mean car.81 320is

Joe Ira

Yes | No

Did you check all your vacuume(sp) connections? When warm the rubber will expand and tighten up some of the connections. It might just be a bad piece of rubber.

Gene

Yes | No

Have you solved your problem. If not I think I solved the same problem with my 320i.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information