+ Reply to Thread

Thread: O2 sensor

Registered Member
    Member No: 48920 joewarnett is an unknown quantity at this point joewarnett's Avatar

Yes | No

O2 sensor

Hello

I have an 88 528e with Motronic 1.1
    I'm having an issue that has got me stumped. Here is the deal.... a few weeks ago I drove through a big puddle and after that the car would stall at idle once and a while. Then the next day it started to stall more often and also cut out for a second upon acceleration. This would make the whole car buck which would make horrible noises.
    I checked for water in all the usual places and then discovered that if I unplug the O2 sensor the problem went away.

So I replaced the sensor with a Bosch OEM sensor but the problem remains.

After studying the Bentley manual it looks like it could be one of many things that would cause this kind of behavior. Fuel Pressure regulator, Air flow sensor, Temp sensor, ect...

My question is what component would cause this only when the O2 sensor is connected? Does it sound like this could be a bad DME and maybe the water shorted out the O2 wires and fried the DME?

I searched the archives and couldn't find anything that matched my situation exactly. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

Water puddle is the key. The sensor will not

make the car stall (usually) when you unplug it goes rich. IMHO you need to get into the distributer cap and replace it and the rotor. You will probably find a fine coat of moisture in the cap and on the corroded contact points. If you go through the trouble to check them, may as well change them if they are over 20k or 2 years. My 02

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information