+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Tyguy

Yes | No

Help Troubleshooting Starting Issue

Hi all,

It's been a really long time since I've been to the forum. I have a 87 535i that no longer runs. I'd like to get it running to either turn it into a project car or to sell it.

A few years ago, after doing several trips across the mountains to get to my bosses house the car started dying on me when I got off the freeway. It ran fine on the freeway but the engine would die when I let off the gas pedal.

The problem slowly grew worse to the point where I had to always rev it when stopped at a light to keep it from stalling. Progressively it got harder to start when it did stall out. It finally died on me but I haven't been able to spend any time for quite a while now.

The only things that I have tried was that I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, and distributor rotor. I think I may have put a new coil in, but none of these things helped. When I charge up my battery the car turns but the engine never even sounds like its going to start.

Any ideas? I would like to try fixing this myself before I take it to a shop. I went back to grad school (which is why I don't have any time to work on cars these days) so I'm trying to avoid paying somebody else to fix it.

Thanks all.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you tested the main relay and fuel pump relay

?? The main relay turns on the DME and also turns on the fuel pump relay. Test for spark and test for running fuel pump.

Registered Member
    Member No: 51648 TamsDaMan is an unknown quantity at this point TamsDaMan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Help Troubleshooting Starting Issue

Possibly a reference sensor problem?

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

So it dies at stops signs and signals?

If it has over 150 miles on it it ma very well be the airflow meter. Bought an E24 sixer really cheap because of this symptom. I bought and reset the AFM sweep arms...bingo! Excellent running/driving car. Needed nothing else.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information