Hi all,

It's been a really long time since I've been to the forum. I have a 87 535i that no longer runs. I'd like to get it running to either turn it into a project car or to sell it.

A few years ago, after doing several trips across the mountains to get to my bosses house the car started dying on me when I got off the freeway. It ran fine on the freeway but the engine would die when I let off the gas pedal.

The problem slowly grew worse to the point where I had to always rev it when stopped at a light to keep it from stalling. Progressively it got harder to start when it did stall out. It finally died on me but I haven't been able to spend any time for quite a while now.

The only things that I have tried was that I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, and distributor rotor. I think I may have put a new coil in, but none of these things helped. When I charge up my battery the car turns but the engine never even sounds like its going to start.

Any ideas? I would like to try fixing this myself before I take it to a shop. I went back to grad school (which is why I don't have any time to work on cars these days) so I'm trying to avoid paying somebody else to fix it.

Thanks all.