+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 68474 topdowntoo is an unknown quantity at this point topdowntoo's Avatar

Yes | No

Low mileage engine repair

Brought my 08 528i to dealer for one year service and inspection. A few weeks ago i heard an engine tap at a cold start. The dealer checked it out and had to replace 12 valve pushrods! Seems to me it's a tad early to have pushrods changed on a car with only 9840 miles! Any one else have this problem with the E60? Other problems were, side view mirror failed to tilt down when in reverse, automatic door locks stopped working, rear glass weather strip fell off, odometer mph indicator kept switching to kph each time I started car even though I set it for mph. I also have a '00 528i with about 112000 miles on it and never any problems like the '08. Any thoughts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 68474 topdowntoo is an unknown quantity at this point topdowntoo's Avatar

Yes | No

Why dealer replaced pushrods.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Sorry pressed wrong button. READ THIS

Spoke to my BMW dealer yesterday. Long story short.
    The pushrods had to be replaced on my car, 2008 528i (9840 miles on it) because the pushrods were manufactured poorly! So if you should hear any engine tapping, at cold start or anytime for that matter, the reason could be or is that your pushrods are faulty.
    The E60 engine uses rocker arms, now called Roller Drag Levers and overhead cams. The cam lobe actuates the pushrods which pushes the rocker arm which opens the valves.
    When the pushrods don't work properly the valves stick and thus, the tapping sound from the engine. This can rob you of power and performance if not attended to.
    08 528i
    00 528i
    06 330cic

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

guess I'll keep my 2000 528

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information