+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 177092 z3coupe2001 is an unknown quantity at this point z3coupe2001's Avatar

Yes | No

Intermitent squeal from the rear of the car

I have 2001 Z3 coupe, automatic with 30 k miles. For several years I have been hearing a squeal coming from the rear of the car. The squeal will often appear during a sharp turn, usually to the right and on acceleration from low speed. The car will squeal for a few days and then stop for a week or so until the next episode. When reaching about 55 to 60 miles on the speedometer the squeal will be continuous until the speed will increase or drop from that speed range.

I have been unable to demonstrate the squeal to BMW dealerís mechanics. The car refuses to produce the squeal when they are in the car. I am not sure if the car has to be warmed up for the squeal to appear. Is anyone having a similar problem? Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 46523 mmallory is an unknown quantity at this point mmallory's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Intermitent squeal from the rear of the car

I would check the E-Brake shoes first. The braking material comes loose and will cause all kinds of noises. The simpe check is to pull the brake the next time you hear the noise. If it stops, you've found the answer.

If it isn't that, remember your cell phone most likely has a recorder built in. Record the sound and take the recording to your mechanic.

flukecapecod

Yes | No

Re: good point ...but....

flukecapecod

Yes | No

Re: good point ...but....(reply)

the pulling on the emergency brake is a great idea, its an "old school" remedy as well, but you should pull the e-brake on only slightly...a little at a time...and not all the way on.

Its purpose as you said its to check to see if the brake pads are loose and this requires only a little bit of friction being applied when pulling on the e-brake..

Plus...this is an excellent "offensive driving skill test" because in the event that you really do loose your brakes , this gives you an opportunity to feel-out what its like in trying to slow down your car slowly/ graciously...not as if its a total panic situation and you jam th3e e-brake on to its maximum potential..

You could actually put the e-brake on just a little bit and drive like that for a length of time as a test to see if the noise is still their. By doing this your applying just a tiny bit of preassure and creating a small amount of drag on the pad and hopefully thereby overcoming this inconsistancy of the pad'sbeing loose.

Registered Member
    Member No: 177092 z3coupe2001 is an unknown quantity at this point z3coupe2001's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: good point ...but....(reply)

Thanks guys for your input. One thing, the squeal will last for only a few seconds at a time. Only when I travel between 55mph and 60mph it will become a continuous squeal, could be some kind of resonance?. I have tried the E-brake trick but it did not influence the squeal.

Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information