+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chris F

Yes | No

Auto Trans Drain/Refill, Finally Completed!

Hello All,

I FINALLY got around to draining my transmission fluid on my 02 Xtype with 120,000 miles. I decided to do this after I failed in attempting to remove the undertray and drain my engine coolant, but thats another story.

MATERIALS NEEDED: I purchased a funnel w/ 1/2inch tube connected to it (see link below for a picture as it was very useful, 12 bottles of Mobil 1 Synthetic trans fluid, and 2ft of 1/4 inch tubing.

With my car being undriven for an entire night, I raised the driver side a few inches with a 2ton jack so I could fit under it. I removed the 24mm drain bolt and exactly 3qts of very very dark oil came out. With the hood open, I used a tie wrap to connect the funnel to the grill of the car. Then I used a small adapter that came with a hand pump I bought from Walmart and connected the tubing from the funnel to the 1/4 inch tubing I purchased seperately. I then fished the tubing into the fill hole and then poured 1qt at a time into the funnel and sealed the top. It takes about 15 minutes for one qt to travel through the funnel and tubing, so by attaching it to the grill I was able to walk away instead of standing there holding the damn thing. After filling, I had to put the fill plug cap back on.It is very tight in there. Easiest way to do this is to lie down in front of the car and slide your left arm up into the bottom of the car. You have plenty of room and can drop the cap right in. I then went to open the check level port to see if i needed more fluid. To my surprise, I do not have a 4mm allen screw but a 14mm bolt. When i tried to remove this bolt, it just kept on spinning. It did not come out. So obviously I could not check my fluid level, I will have to assume it is fine. Kinda weird tho!

After 4 drains/refills, the fluid looks new and red, instead of dark and black and the car is driving much nicer. Overall this job is very easy and I recommend that you do it if your car is getting up there in miles and age!

(Here is a link to see a picture of the funnel)
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Oil+and+ Fluid+Change&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=1392 78_0_0_&productId=139278&sortType=&parentId=1311-10&filterByKeyWord=funnel&categoryNValue=101311&na vValue=100999&fromWhere=&itemId=999-10&displayName=On-Off+spout+pouring+tube+with+cap+and+handle+measuri ng+funnel&store=1865&skuDisplayName=On-Off+spout+pouring+tube+with+cap+and+handle+measuri ng+funnel&brandName=Hopkins[/URL]

Registered Member
    Member No: 147697 MattSteele is an unknown quantity at this point MattSteele's Avatar

Yes | No

Nice! Congrats. What kind of oil did you use?

Wondering if you used the OEM Jaguar fluid that costs a fortune, or something aftermarket? If it was the Jaguar fluid, how much does it cost out of curiosity?

Chris F

Yes | No

Re: Nice! Congrats. What kind of oil did you use?

Matt,

I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. It cost $8.15 w/ tax per quart.

I purchased 24qts like one of the posters (Dennis) suggested but only ended up using 12, as by the 3rd drain (9th quart) the fluid was already looking new and red.

Just remember that you do not have to squeeze your hand in to remove the fill plug, or worse remove the battery box. Enter the area from under the car and you will have a ton of room to remove the fill plug and to close it up when finished.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147697 MattSteele is an unknown quantity at this point MattSteele's Avatar

Yes | No

Is Mobil 1 synthetic ATF compatible with our cars?

Interesting. I recall raging discussions on Jaguar Talk about the fact that no aftermarket ATF fluid seemed compatible with Jaguar's spec, and that's why you needed to spend $400 at the dealer to get the fluid changed.

Does anyone know if Mobil 1 ATF definitively meets the Jaguar ATF fluid spec? Is it on an approved list from Jaguar? Just curious - it would be awesome if we could avoid spending the crazy $$$ to service the transmission using Jaguar's fluid.

Chris F

Yes | No

Re: Is Mobil 1 synthetic ATF compatible with our cars?

Matt,

The Mobil 1 bottle clearly states that it meets/exceeds Idemitsu K17, which is the Jaguar Trans spec.

What a difference it has made! However, I did consider adding a quart of the Lucas transmission treatment but backed off due to fear of it doing more harm than good.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks Chris, that's fantastic!

Great to know we finally have an alternative to the "purified with gold" Jaguar automatic transmission fluid. I'm filing this away for future reference. :-)

Fedor

Yes | No

Looks like, but I am a bit confused...
    The transmission is supposed to have 9.3 quarts capacity. Does it drain in small portions only?
    -Fedor

Chris F

Yes | No

It drains...

3 quarts exactly when the car is cold (undriven for a few hours. It drains 2.5 - 2.7 quarts when it has been recently driven.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

Yes | No

Good Job Chris

Dale L

Yes | No

Re: Auto Trans Drain/Refill, Finally Completed!

Is your 2002 x-type still driving ok after 6 months with the new Mobel 1 synthetic ATF?

Chris F

Yes | No

Hi Dale,

It has been closer to 8months, but yes my car is running great (knock on wood). the service is much needed, you will feel a difference immediately. Every 6 months i am draining 3 quarts and refilling. The fluid was still red after 6 months.

Chris

JohnB47

Yes | No

I just started to do my 2002 X-Type today. I just acquired the car a week ago, and it has (supposedly) only 30,000 miles. Anyway, I thought that I should change the trans fluid just on general principles. I found the drain plug easily, and I found the filler cap with only a bit more difficulty. However, when I drained the trans, 5 (five) quarts came out! It was kind of brown, though it was still translucent. I decided that if five quarts came out, I should put five quarts back in. But maybe it had been overfilled in the past. Should I be worried about it? The procedure for checking the level seems awfully complicated, so I had not planned to do it. Maybe I should take it to a dealer to have the level checked? If it had two quarts too much, would that damage the trans?

Registered Member
    Member No: 160808 CFlip777 is an unknown quantity at this point CFlip777's Avatar

Yes | No

5 Quarts?

I know many people who have performed this service and no one has ever drained 5qts through this method. I advise you to refill it with 3 quarts, then run the car until it reaches operating temperature. Turn the car off and remove the check level plug. If nothing seeps out, pour 100ml of of fluid into the trans until you start to see fluid dripping from the check level plug.

What kind of trans fluid r u using?

Keep us posted.

Registered Member
    Member No: 183067 JohnB47 is an unknown quantity at this point JohnB47's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 5 Quarts?

I am using Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF.

I guess I should have tried to check the level. I will do that as soon as I have some time. In the meantime, it doesn't have any more fluid in it than before I started, because I measured what came out fairly accurately, and it really was 5 quarts. I had already driven it about 500 miles before draining the fluid, and nothing bad happened. And now, the transmission seems to be shifting better.

Thanks for the advice, and best of luck with yours.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Fluid Level

By the way... Chris, you said to check the level with the engine stopped, but the Jaguar manual says to check it with the engine running. Do you have any idea what difference it would make whether the engine is running or not?

Thanks,
    ...JohnB47

Registered Member
    Member No: 160808 CFlip777 is an unknown quantity at this point CFlip777's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Fluid Level

Good question. I was actually afraid to do it with the engien running so I just did it immediatly after turning the car off. Cant see it making a difference.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Fluid Level

Well, it turns out that it does make a difference.

Today, I drained it again, and once again 5 quarts came out. This time, however, instead of putting 5 back in, I only put in three. Then I checked the level.

I decided to do it with the engine running. I didn't worry too much about the temperature, because it was close to 90F this afternoon. I started the engine, and ran the shift through all the gears, and put it back into Park. Then I went under the car, and removed the level check plug. Nothing came out. So I had my wife watch it while I added fluid. When I had added about 1/3 of a quart, she said fluid was coming out, so I stopped adding fluid. When she said that the flow stopped, I turned off the engine, and went under the car again. But when I got there, there was a steady stream of fluid coming out again! So I waited for it to stop, but it didn't. So then I decided that you really have to check it with the engine running, so I started it up again. The flow stopped, and then I added more fluid until it started to come out again. Then I went under the car, and when the flow stopped (which happened pretty soon this time) I put the plug back in. Then I stopped the car.

While the plug was out and the engine was off, quite a bit of fluid had come out, probably over a quart because I had to put in more than a quart to make up for it. Anyway, after the initial 3 quarts, I had put in about 1-2/3 quarts. However, about 1-2/3 quarts came out, too. So that means that it had been pretty close to the right level after I had put in the 3 quarts, just like Chris said.

Apparently, someone in the past had put in an extra two quarts. Hopefully, it didn't do too much damage. The transmission seems to be shifting better now than when I got the car.

From now on, I will not check the level. The procedure is too hard and too messy. I will just drain what comes out, and add 3 quarts. That seems to be the simplest way to renew the fluid and to ensure that the level is correct at the same time.

By the way, the car is a 2002, and supposedly had 30,000 miles on it. I am skeptical, but the odometer, the previous owner and the CarFax all agree, so maybe it is true.

I am using Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF because the spec sheet says it meets the specs that Jaguar requires. Also,I saw a bulletin from Jaguar from a while back that said that they had formed a partnership with Castrol so that the Jaguar engineers and the Castrol chemists could collaborate to produce lubricants that would meet the requirements of Jaguars - and then I found that Castrol recommends their Import Multi-Vehicle ATF for Jaguar X-Type. So I feel really comfortable with it. I don't know if it is the best fluid, but it IS acceptable, and the price is very reasonable. I paid $3.99 a quart at Pep Boys. So I have only invested $40 so far, in spite of "wasting" about 4 quarts. Actually, they were not wasted, since they did help dilute the old fluid. The fluid now looks pretty close to red, so I think I will wait a while before fussing with it again.

Thanks again, Chris, for the good advice, and the excellent DIY procedure for changing the ATF.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Results

Since I changed the fluid, the transmission is working remarkably better. When I first acquired the car, about 3 weeks ago, there was a noticeable lag (it felt like about 1/2 second) between pushing the accelerator and feeling the acceleration when starting from a dead stop. Now, it feels like a cat leaping! The only bad thing is that I get so fascinated with the responsiveness that I accelerate faster, which has reduced my average mileage by about 1 mpg, hehehe.

Registered Member
    Member No: 177802 tvine is an unknown quantity at this point tvine's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: It drains...

Has anyone tried using a vacuum tank to remove fluid through the fill tube, then replacing what you took out?

User Level 1
    Member No: 189104 98acet is an unknown quantity at this point 98acet's Avatar

Yes | No
    I have a question regarding the transmission fluid change. Can I suck out all of the fluid from the fill plug on top? How much fluid is there supposed to be in there? I have read about the change out draining 3 quarts at a time and repeating three times. I was wondering if I could get all of it out from the top and refill and be done. Any suggestions?

I have 2003 X-Type 3.0 Automatic and a 2003 X-Type 2.5 Automatic

98acet
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.113.187.240

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information