+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 79195 jrmowrey is an unknown quantity at this point jrmowrey's Avatar

Yes | No

coolant cchange

did my coolant change to the 95 525i open up a hole cans of worms lol car over heats and has no heat at all . it will idle for 15 20 min and not over heat so from what i read its the thermostat changed that still no heat and over heating so i guess the water pump is suspect now i nkow it was changed several years ago before i bought the car that was at 60,000 miles itd got 115,000 now . when i tried to bleed the system nothing but steam would come out ; i have looked in the radiator and there is very little movement. any body have any ideas ? water pump?

Registered Member
    Member No: 33986 glen-sj is an unknown quantity at this point glen-sj's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: coolant cchange

You may not have completely purged the air out of the coolant system. Try bleeding it again. Did you also changed the thermostat? There is a small weep hole on the flange of the thermostat that needs to be installed with the weep hole on top to help with the air purge. The upper radiator hose should be hot to the touch when the engine has reach normal operating temp.(temp gauge at 12 o'clock) if not, then your water pump may have failed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 79195 jrmowrey is an unknown quantity at this point jrmowrey's Avatar

Yes | No

yes i did change the thermostat i dont remember seeing a weep hole i did install the new one just like the one i took out . the top hose gets hot bottom hose feels like there is no coolant in it . also i cant get any heat from the heater at all i do remember when i filled the radiator after the coolant change the fron was sitting down hill, i read later that was not good . anyway it seemed to be getting the air out of the system the heater hoses were making a burmping sound too but i never got any coolant out of the bleeder then after the trmp went to the middle it started spooing white steam out of it and the temp just kept climbing so i shut it off before it getts in the red area.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Sound like there is air trapped in the system or your radiator is restricted or plug. If you did not overheated prior to the coolant change it most likely your radiator is ok.

Did you follow the correct bleed procedure? Try bleeding the system again. Start with the car on level ground or with the front of car on the upside of incline (best).
    1. add coolant to expansion tank until level reaches the COLD mark on tank.
    2. loosen the bleed screw on radiator expansion tank. Add coolant until it spills from bleed screw. Tighten bleed screw and radiator cap.
    3. Set temperature controls in passenger compartment to full warm, fan on high and start the engine.
    4. With engine idling at normal operating temperature, loosen the bleed screw until coolant spilling from the bleed is free of air bubbles, be patient as this can take a while depending on how much air was in system, may take up to 30 minutes or more, then tighten the screw.
    5. After engine has cooled, recheck coolant level and add coolant as necessary.

Hope this help. Goood luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks i will try this again this weekend . its possible i need to ad coolant its a little below the full mark. once i got it at the full mark i stopped adding coolant maybe thats why iam not getting anything from the bleed screw .thanks ill try this

Registered Member

Yes | No

This would explain your problem. You need to displace the air in the coolant system by adding coolant. Be sure to maintain the coolant level at the full mark while bleeding.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information