+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 177040 robertobaggio2009 is an unknown quantity at this point robertobaggio2009's Avatar

Yes | No

Can Bosch 525 AF Masks be cleaned?

Hi Everyone,

Got a problem and a dilemma actually. My mech has found that the air flow masks (that's what he called it, its not an air flow meter, i gather that what he means is that its not the flap type of afm) on my car is giving an error message. This persists even after the error code has been cleared. My car's idling characteristics and fuel economy are also poor. Clearly, there is an AFM problem.

The mech suggested replacement with a new (preferred but very expensive!) or used afm. I've been wondering if its just possible to clean the thing instead ?

I'm using a performance pod air filter, that is inclined downward at 30 degrees or so.

My AFM is the bosch filament type. Would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on this matter, especially if you have had it done to your car too. Thank you.

Regards,
    Baggs

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

MAF = air flow meter

on my 750 that is the same one, with tiny wires inside, that glows after you have switched off the engine to clean it automatically. You can see the MAF testing on my website, go there to lots of DIY tips>private DIY links>>Johan & Sean>>engine>MAF testing.

So usually the are self cleaning with the hot wire.
    But it could be that your MAF id dead. You can do a socalled tap test. Use the search with my name and MAF tap test, should be around here.

Never touch this wire inside. Do not use any cleaner which contains silicone or stuff like that or oil.
    Some people use electronic parts cleaner for that and spray it on. There should not stay anything on the wire after you cleaned it.
    I use cleaning alcohol from the drugstore which you can also use when you cut your fingers to clean the wound, not sure what that is called in proper English.Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Bobbert

Yes | No

Re: Can Bosch 525 AF Masks be cleaned?

Not sure what a af mask is, but I have sprayed carb cleaner onto my MAF several times, no problems noticed. There is actually a MAF cleaner, a spray can made by CRC. But I have always just used carb cleaner.

Bob

Registered Member
    Member No: 177040 robertobaggio2009 is an unknown quantity at this point robertobaggio2009's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: MAF = air flow meter

Thanks Shogun,

Here's the direct link to the MAF testing page that he's referring to :

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/MAF_v12/MAFtroubleshooting.htm

I'm still studying it, will get back to ya later. :) Thanks !

Baggs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information