+ Reply to Thread
    Mike

Yes | No

What are the pros and cons of a limited-slip diff?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?

Serg

Yes | No

Re: What are the pros and cons of a limited-slip d

I can't think of any disadvantages of a LSD. It will send power to whicever wheel has the most traction and will definitely help in the winter.<p>Serg<p><i><br>What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?<p></i><br>

Dana R

Yes | No

One disadvantage to LS

<i><br>I can't think of any disadvantages of a LSD. It will send power to whicever wheel has the most traction and will definitely help in the winter.<p>Serg<p><br>What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?<p><br></i>In the winter, if you're a heavy-footed klutz, rather than just spinning one tire and not going, you can break loose the rear end and totally lose control of the car. With a smooth right foot, you'll have much better traction with a LS diff.<br>

Dana R

Yes | No

One disadvantage to LS

<i><br>I can't think of any disadvantages of a LSD. It will send power to whicever wheel has the most traction and will definitely help in the winter.<p>Serg<p><br>What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?<p><br></i>In the winter, if you're a heavy-footed klutz, rather than just spinning one tire and not going, you can break loose the rear end and totally lose control of the car. With a smooth right foot, you'll have much better traction with a LS diff.<br>

Mike

Yes | No

thanks (eom)

Shawn D.

Yes | No

It's worth doing

<i><br>What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?<br></i><p>I recently put an LSD in my 535i here in Atlanta, so I can't testify to its effectiveness in winter. However, I have driven my LSD-equipped '57 Chevy in snow when I lived in Spokane, WA for four years and Minot, ND for two. With studded tires, it was nearly unstoppable, while my (then) non-LSD BMW could barely get out of the driveway.<p>On the con side, you might see a bit more tire wear because of the scrubbing as you turn sharp corners, but it's worth it.<p>Overall, an LSD is definitely a good thing to have.<br>

andyman

Yes | No

Re: It's worth doing

if I'm correct, the '57 chevy would have used something called 'posi lock' which is different than limited slip differental, same principle though.<p>the limited slip will still allow both rear wheels to move relatively independantly of each other.<p><i><p>What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?<p>I recently put an LSD in my 535i here in Atlanta, so I can't testify to its effectiveness in winter. However, I have driven my LSD-equipped '57 Chevy in snow when I lived in Spokane, WA for four years and Minot, ND for two. With studded tires, it was nearly unstoppable, while my (then) non-LSD BMW could barely get out of the driveway.<p>On the con side, you might see a bit more tire wear because of the scrubbing as you turn sharp corners, but it's worth it.<p>Overall, an LSD is definitely a good thing to have.<p></i><br>

Dave S.

Yes | No

Re: It's worth doing

<i><br>if I'm correct, the '57 chevy would have used something called 'posi lock' which is different than limited slip differental, same principle though.<p>the limited slip will still allow both rear wheels to move relatively independantly of each other.<p><br>What are the advantages and disadvantages of a limited-slip differential? Does it make a difference in Winter?<p>I recently put an LSD in my 535i here in Atlanta, so I can't testify to its effectiveness in winter. However, I have driven my LSD-equipped '57 Chevy in snow when I lived in Spokane, WA for four years and Minot, ND for two. With studded tires, it was nearly unstoppable, while my (then) non-LSD BMW could barely get out of the driveway.<p>On the con side, you might see a bit more tire wear because of the scrubbing as you turn sharp corners, but it's worth it.<p>Overall, an LSD is definitely a good thing to have.<p><br></i>I believe that Posi Lock, Posi Traction, Traction Lock, etc, were all just names given to clutch type LSDs by US car makers, much like Turbo Hydromatic, Torque Flite, and Cruise o matic were names given to automatic transmissions. Mom's Buick has "Dyna Ride". <br>

Shawn D.

Yes | No

It's not a '57 LSD. Other types of LSDs are...

<i><br>if I'm correct, the '57 chevy would have used something called 'posi lock' which is different than limited slip differental, same principle though.<br></i><p>It's not a '57 LSD, it's out of a mid-70s Trans Am. Yep, it's a "Posi-traction." Ford had a ratcheting-type "Trac-Lock" diff, whereby the slower wheel would get all the power (i.e. the inside wheel in a turn), which could really screw up handling in a turn. If you were on a dragstrip, however, it was great. There are also cone-type LSDs, which are second only to the Torsen-type infinitely-variable-torque-split diff. Torsens (also made by Quaife) are VERY pricey, however ($750 for an American car, $1250-$2000 for a Euro car).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information