+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 177472 hardyrxp is an unknown quantity at this point hardyrxp's Avatar

Yes | No

83 320i 5 speed need help with temp guage going ov

Hello all I am Dave can someone please help assist me with the problem I am having....

I have a 83 320i 5speed.
    The problem is ONLY at a red light or heavy traffic the temperature gauge will go past the 12 o'clock/half way mark to almost the 3/4 mark. It does not go past the 3/4 mark and a lot of times it does not even get that far it just barely goes over the half way mark.

So my question is what can be causing this problem can someone please help....... Before answering let me list what I have done to narrow the problem down.....

Water pump changed (I think from previous owner I inspected and it seems okay)
    Thermostat replaced....
    Cooling system flushed and replaced with new coolant with the proper factory mixture specifications.
    Radiator replaced with again new coolant with proper mix of water/coolant.

Auxiliary fan inspected and can't figure out if it works properly or not I have been told 2 different things. The fan does come on when the A/C is turned on but does not come on when the car is hot 3/4.... I was told this is normal and the fan does not come on unless the A/C is turned on. I was also told it is supposed to come on when the temperature gauge goes over halfway mark 12 o clock position.

Also the temperature gauge goes down when the heater is turned on. When the heater is off it goes back up to over the half way point but not quite to the 3/4 mark.

So with that being said I am wondering what else could be causing this problem....

I am considering it might be the cylinder head gasket blowing. What would be the signs if that was happening?

Also if someone could please help with any/all questions I would appreciate it much thanks.

BG

Yes | No

temp guage going and the fan

Hello Dave,

There is an electric sensor (thermostat) on the bottom left of the radiator, if I recall correctly. At some temperature, it is supposed to start the auxiliary electric fan. But when you turn on the AC, the circuit runs the electric fan continuously, regardless what temperature the sensor measures. However, on my 1981 320i, I do not ever recall the electric fan coming on unless I also had the AC running.

I can't suggest any reason why you are having cooling problems. Mine has worked perfectly for 29 southern summers with only one radiator change and one water pump change. Years ago, many people reported that the cooling system on these cars was marginal. There was a cowl available, maybe for the 323 6-cyl. car. I hope you can sort it out. On your car, the sensor may be broken if it does not turn on your electric fan. Please let us know what you find out.

gofast88635

Yes | No

Re: 83 320i 5 speed need help with temp guage going ov

If it was a cylinder, you should see bubbles or irregularities on the dipstick........or white smoke come from back of car.
    It sounds like a circulation issue. Early on, I had the same problem, got a new radiator, new radiator cap, and have never had the problem again. Although I have a new water pump, have not installed it as of yet. Car runs at a little above 1/4. Bought one of those cowls, used........did NOT fit my 81. My elec fan only comes on, I guess, with AC..........have never heard it!
    At these times I am totally stumped, my non BMW mechanic is totally stumped........I rely on an older mechanic at a BMW dealership in Indiana that has been around these cars for since the 70s.
    Example is....rough idle...I replaced everything, I mean everything...finally took it to older mechanic.....frickin valves needed adjusting! Runs smooth as glass! OH...the lessons we learn!!

///MAY

Yes | No

Re: 83 320i 5 speed need help with temp guage going ov

you may have your timming to far advanced. also make sure your vaccum advance/retard are hooked up corectly

Registered Member
    Member No: 32099 glotman is an unknown quantity at this point glotman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: temp guage going and the fan

It may be a marginal radiator, as you have replaced everything else.
    When the heat is on it helps, because the heater is just another small radiator, when on it adds its cooling effect to the mix.
    the 3/4 mark is slightly high, but at least probably not the danger level, if your guage is accurate.
    G

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information