+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 114797 scially is an unknown quantity at this point scially's Avatar

Yes | No

Sound coming from under front center or right side

When driving up windy roads, or taking a sharp curve, the car will make a "clank" (more like a soft "thud" sound). The sound appears to be eminating from either the center or right side of the front of the car. I'm not shifting while it makes this sound.

The challenge is that you have to be driving in these conditions to hear the car emit these sounds.

I can't help but wonder if something is amiss with the sway bar?

Any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Sound coming from under front center or right side

I am assuming you have the ARS (Active Roll Stabilization). That is high pressure hydraulic and should have no mechanical sound to it plus sensor to detect low fluid or not performing correctly. You could check the mounts however. Looks like two "C" clamps attaching to chassis mounts, left and right. All Aluminum under there. Could something in rear transmit or reverberate to make you think it is in front? How about shock mounts/springs? Did you check for broken spring. I slam my car around many thousands of turns in 95k miles and no such sounds.

How about the plastic under mounts that hide alot of the undercarriage. Anything not fastened or missing?

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the replies. I visually couldn't see any deficiencies, so I am bringing the car in for BMW to inspect.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make the noise in all turns (mostly on uphill curves), but I did manage to record the noise on my iphone (how is that for obsessive).

As for "yho" question about the center support bracket--that problem did exist but I had it corrected about a year ago. The noise in that case came whenever I went over a bump. This noise is more akin to a thud sound (like slapping your thigh).

Thanks.

Registered Member

Yes | No

The diagnosis--control arm link. Part ordered.

Thanks all.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

You might be the first in our neighborhood. Simply defective or was there a cause (pot hole, curb, etc.)? I know I did a stupid thing in a parking lot that caused lots of sub frame damage (~$2K which insurance paid) but I was totally unaware until I saw 1/2 the passenger side ARS clamp missing and had it checked out.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 62789 yhofmasp is an unknown quantity at this point yhofmasp's Avatar

Yes | No

Center Support Bracket

Center Support Bracket leaps to mind. I've had mine replaced two times in 75K miles. The symptoms were "popping" noises from various areas when the car experienced body torquing of some kind. Usually it sounded like the noise came from the dash or from the moonroof. Might be worth checking it out.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Center Support Bracket

You reminded me of this issue as well:

SI B51 13 04
    Body Equipment August 2007
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B51 13 04 dated June 2007.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Rattling Noise from Center Display

MODEL
    E60, E61 (5 Series sedan and sports wagon) produced up to June 2007

E63, E64 (6 Series coupe and convertible) produced up to June 2007

SITUATION
    A rattling noise may be heard from behind the center display or lower windshield area when the vehicle is driven over bumps.

CAUSE
    The retaining bolts for the cross strut brace on the center support bracket, or on the strut towers, have worked themselves loose. In some cases, the threaded holes of the aluminum center support bracket have become damaged.
    _______

www.bimmerdrivers.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information