+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TRANS PROG

Registered Member
    Member No: 71775 nando is an unknown quantity at this point nando's Avatar

Yes | No

TRANS PROG

I have a '93 740i that recently started giving me a "trans prog" code. When I checked the fault code reader I got FF 1A (control unit supply)
    Voltage when running is 14.13 volts (at battery)
    Replaced TCM and cleaned shifter.
    Symptoms:
    Ignition forward LED's for shifter are fine.
    Start engine and Trans Prog comes up and car turns off if I start the car in nuetral runs for about 2 minutes and shuts off.

I checked the connections to trans clean and secure.
    Have not replaced trans speed sensor.

Lost need help.

russ

Yes | No

Re: TRANS PROG

I had a similar experience and found it was caused by coca cola spilt into the transmission switch on the console. The coke had glued some of the parts together and was causing one of the switches to remain on, they are supposed to be an instantanious signal and because it was remaining on the tranny computer went spastic. Simple fix for me as I was able to unglue the switch and super glue the busted bit back in place. Hope you are so lucky

Registered Member
    Member No: 71775 nando is an unknown quantity at this point nando's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: TRANS PROG

still trying. I found out today that disconnecting the MAF the car stays running and does not shut off even in gear and while checking noticed check engine light was out.

Kenneth 1948

Yes | No

TRANS PROGRAM ERROR

I posted the following back in 2005:

My problem was the speed sensor in the valve body, not an expensive repair and common with these trannys.

If you can find this post there were some other useful comments posted in response to it.

Author: Kenneth 1948 on 2005-08-14 at 23:53:04

Subject: TRANS PROGRAM Error. Symptoms & Remedies: (488 views) (855 thread views)

I found literally thousands of posts on this topic on the board. Following is my best effort to present the information in some kind of systematic format.

Symptoms: (These were my symptoms, yours may be different)

• Occurs when cold, won’t shift up in “A” automatic mode.
    • Chimes and goes into “limp” mode i.e.; transmission only operates in 3rd and reverse. Displays “Trans Program” on display on instrument panel.
    • Error usually occurs on over-run when slowing down.

If you re-set the system (refer to Shogun’s reset procedure on the board) and shift carefully in “M” manual mode, trans will usually work normally when it is warmed up and you shift it back into “A” automatic.
    However, mine would sometimes miss the 1-2 shift and select neutral. Be very, very careful, use a light foot on the accelerator and lift off quick if this happens so-as not to over-rev the engine!!

Remedies: (This is what I did)

1. Check the transmission fluid level.
    2. Clean the A/M Switch on console using Radio Shack or similar contact cleaner.
    (There is a procedure on Gale’s page for removing the console)
    Symptoms of a bad or dirty A/M switch are inconsistent display on instrument panel.
    3. Clean the PRND123 Switch contacts using Radio Shack or similar contact cleaner.
    (The 735 is easy to get to, I believe the 740 is difficult)
    Symptoms of a bad or dirty PRND123 switch are inconsistent display on instrument panel when you move or “jiggle” the shift lever from side to side.
    4. Clean the connector on transmission using Radio Shack or similar contact cleaner.
    (Don’t stick anything into the female part of the connector to clean it.)
    5. Check and clean the MAF connections
    6. Check and clean the TPS connections
    7. Check and clean the harness connection to the transmission control unit which is located behind the speaker on the right side foot well (passenger’s side on a US spec car)
    8. Re-set the system.

If the problem persists:

1. Consider removing the TPS, taking it apart and cleaning inside. I didn’t do this as it looked like you would lose your TPS adjustment. Someone else on the board said this cured their problem.
    2. A transmission expert told me the soldered joints holding the pins for the harness connection to the transmission control unit are subject to cracking and failure. I removed the unit and very carefully took it apart. It looked new inside and re-soldering those joints was beyond my skill level and equipment. (My limit was an LKM module.) I put it back together and re-installed it.

This is about all you can do without spending money. At this point I took the car to an independent shop and had the transmission code read. Also, the dealer said they would read the codes for about $85

Although I don’t believe in “throwing parts” at a problem, if I had to do this again I would have replaced the speed sensor in the valve body. This is a very common cause of the TRANS PROGRAM error. It requires draining the fluid and removing the pan. I did not do this part of the job so I cannot give the exact steps but I understand it’s not difficult. Also, the part is not expensive (about $40 to $50 US)

Problem Solved:

This was the cause of my problem and I am now back on the road with the tranny functioning properly.

Other possible causes include:

• The MAF. My guess is if the car seems to be running and idling normally, it probably isn’t the cause.
    • The transmission control unit.
    • Also, I believe excessive slipping such as a worn “A” clutch pack will also cause the error.

I hope this will be of assistance as sooner or later you will probably have this problem with your E32.

Good Luck!

John aka Kenneth, ’91 735 IL 192K

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information