+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 177290 fishhead is an unknown quantity at this point fishhead's Avatar

Yes | No

What to look for

Hello all, Im a new be to the board and I am looking to get a 2002. I had one (1973) about 20 yrs ago and it was alot of fun.
    There is one for sale locally. I'm not sure of the year, but it is the square tail light model. There is rust on the spare tire well. Its a 4 speed with AC. I havent called the seller yet as I would like to be better informed on the '02 before taking to the seller. It has been for sale for over a year.
    What do I look for in this '02 (problem areas). On my old '02 I had to replace the front rocker panels (at the jack area).

I am not going to restore it. I will me making it more of a custom(2002 Turbo style) My thoughts are fender flares, front air dam and possibly change to better disc brakes (front and rear), power windows, different seats and who knows what else.

I'm into vintage Jap motorcycles and making them perform and stop better. I dont know if links are allowed on this site and this isn't for commercial interest, but search for "fishhead big brakes" to see stuff I have done in the past.

Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Fishhead

Mike Wooldridge

Yes | No

Re: What to look for

Here's a link you will enjoy reading:

Also check out the info at

Registered Member
    Member No: 177290 fishhead is an unknown quantity at this point fishhead's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the link. I'll give the seller a call this week and see where it goes from there

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well I went and seriously looked at it. It's a 74 model (buld date 2/74) and is actually in pretty "good" condition. There is some rust on the spare tire well, but the rest of it looks pretty good with only (what appears to be) surface rust on the bottom. The jacking pads look to be in good solid condition. The door brake is loose on the R/S and the door brake is missing the tabs(frame) on the L/S. The R/S 1/4 window will need to be replaced (It is loose from the mechanism- rusted where it mounts to the window frame)and the R/S window is hard to roll up and down. Frigidair air condition and looks complete.
    The pedal box looks solid. It has the 4 speed "stamping" on the dash and when I shifted through the gears (sitting still)it may have a 5 speed (it didnt have "reverse only on the far left). It was very hard to tell as the metal plate that mounts the shifter was VERY loose(no shifter boot and I could see it moving/flopping), but it seemed to have 6 spots in the shifting mechanism.(It would be REAL nice if it already had a 5 speed- wishful thinking)
    Its not the prettiest thing, but looks to be solic and it may suit my needs to a T.

I called the # on the sign and left a message, now I'm just waiting on the return call.

Fishhead

Registered Member
    Member No: 15590 RIP is an unknown quantity at this point RIP's Avatar

Yes | No

How much green???

Registered Member

Yes | No

He wants about $1000. I finally did get a return call and I am suppose to go there this weekend to look at it and possibly drive it some.
    It should be interesting to say the least. I'll keep you posted.

Registered Member

Yes | No

It's mine....

Well, I picked it up and drove it home yesterday. The PO warned me about the slipping clutch and at first I didn't think I was going to make it home. The shifter is very sloppy and 1st and 3rd are hard to tell from each other (that's probably what happened to the clutch- taking off in 3rd). Once I figured out the 1st and 3rd "thing", it went alot smoother. Gain speed going down the hill to make it up the next hill. I was amazed that there were so few cars on the road.

I putzed with it for a bit yesterday. Took the door panels off and lubed the window slides, lock mechanisms( so it can be locked) and semi pulled the carpet out of the pass. side to get the water out of the floor board (Leaking seal on the heater box).
    The cars pretty solid. The spare tire well has a little rust in it and the lower front valence has some rust. The rest is solid, the lifter pads on the rocker are in solid condition.

It's a 4 speed, Weber 32/36 with A/C. The A/C belt is removed, so I guess there is an issue with the compressor or something in the AC system. I'll need to sort through the wiring as it has some issues (Heater fan doesnt work, and other etc). The speedo has a broken needle and will need to be replaced.

First on the agenda is I'll need to find a clutch kit and replace the clutch. I'll address the sloppy shifter issue when the trans is out.

I'll post pics of this "beauty" later when I take a few.

I'm psyched, the interior even smelled like my old "02 !!

Fishhead

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information