+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 177759 mpmario is an unknown quantity at this point mpmario's Avatar

Yes | No

95 540 Front End Vibration

Any ideas where to look for a bad front end vibration. Occurs at around 60. The vibration is not really noticed in the steering wheel but through the body. I have had the wheels balanced multiple times just in case. It is especially bad when braking. As the speed drops to around 60 the vibration is so bad that the cars seems like it might shake itself apart.

Best idea is a bad bushing, but nothing is obvious. Any ideas where to start?

PinocoleE32E34

Yes | No

Re: 95 540 Front End Vibration

Have you looked at the rotors for "hot spots" or runout issues?
    Sounds like a symptom I experienced both on my 740il and very pronounced on a 2001 Tacoma double cab. Oddly both occurred at about 60 mph.

Thought the truck was going to self destruct.
    Changed out to slotted rotors with new pads and the problem went away for good.

Same deal with the 740 but the problem wasn't nearly as pronounced.
    Hasn't been long enough to tell you if the cure is permanent, but no vibrations thus far.

Just a suggestion...

Pinocole
    94 740il 164K
    92 525i 260K and a 2001 Tacoma 135K :)

johnatl535

Yes | No

lower control arms

Registered Member
    Member No: 177759 mpmario is an unknown quantity at this point mpmario's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the rotors and the pads and things look ok. Also, this doesn't just happen when braking. The vibration is not felt through the brake pedal or in the steering wheel which seems to point away from rotors or wheel balancing.

--mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 62972 russcasey is an unknown quantity at this point russcasey's Avatar

Yes | No

upper control arms fail

upper control arms can fail (aka thrust arms) on the e34 series and cause 45-65 mph vibration. Very common problem. Also check the rest of your front suspension for wear.
    Thanks, Russell

1995 525i-Auto, M50TU-USA, E.A.T chip, 1/95 build, 225/60/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires, 15" OE basketweave wheels, ASC+T, BMW-Alpine remote/Alarm, OBC, full leather/wood, heated seats, lumbar support, HID, BMW Alpine 5 radio/BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, 177k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Karl in KS

Yes | No

Re: lower control arms

mpmario, you have a classic symptom for worn bushings in the lower control arms. When ours started to go, I got replacement arms with cut down 750i bushings installed from BMP. No problems since.

Registered Member
    Member No: 178165 RADMANN is an unknown quantity at this point RADMANN's Avatar

Yes | No

I had the same problem for over a year. Hitting the breaks at a specific speed and at times it felt like the steering wheel was going to vibrate off of the conecting point, it would shake THAT bad.
    Stupidly, I trusted the Auto Repair shop across the street and he talked me into a new front left wheel bearing. (No matter how hard he tried he said, "he could not recreate the problem") Replacing the bearing cost me $850. found a new mechanic a few months later.
    So, I dealt with the problem until it came time to do the break pads- I had a set of High Tech green pads - got a great deal on the internet - the new mechanic calls and says that the rotors are just a tad too thin to mill down and he can get a new set for something like $75.
    I have never had the problem since replacing the rotors 16 months ago.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information