+ Reply to Thread
    voodoo walt

Yes | No

Trunk Lid Switch

Does anyone know the location and part number for an 89, 735i trunk lid switch? Lately I have to open the lid all the way then let it partway down then open all the way, 3 or 4 times before my trunk light goes on. Seems to get worse as time goes by. Used to light immediately then had to open/close a couple of times before the light went on.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

it's a small microswitch

about in the middle/center of the trunk lid where the trunk lock lock is, just a push down microswitch. It has to be pushed onto the base of the trunkShogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

voodoo Walt

Yes | No

Shogun Trunk Lid Switch Location

Shogun... If the switch is located near the trunk lock why does it seem the light only goes on after I lift the lid as high as it will go and then raise and lower a few inches 3 or 4 times until it goes on? It almost seems as if the switch has something to do with the hinges because the trunk lid doesn't touch anything once it's raised. Any ideas?

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

might be broken wire then which still has contact

depending on how the lid is positioned when opened/closed. check the wires for the microswitchShogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

voodoo Walt

Yes | No

Shogun. Do you know if the switch pops out?

Registered Member

Yes | No

right side of the hook in trunk lid, looks...

which goes into the lock, like no. 2 or 3 in the drawing
    http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E32/Sedan/Europe/750iL-M70/LHD/A/1988/november/browse/vehicle_electrical_system/various_switches-2/Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 13814
    Inner Circle ©158 since: Aug 14, 2003 cheung1 is an unknown quantity at this point cheung1's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's a photo of the trunk lid switch

I have never needed to repair this switch thus not sure if it pops out or not. Is there a screw right behind the switch to remove the assembly? I didn't think of examining that when I took the photo this morning. But you must be able to push the switch in and out to see which part or wire is loosen.

Patrick C 88 750 159K

voodoo Walt

Yes | No

Thanks for the Photo and Drawing. Question:

I don't see any mechanical attachment; neither screw, nut or bolt. I was wondering if the switch just pries out of the lid. I tried prying a bit but didn't want to break anything. I'd like to remove the switch and see what's going on there. I squirted some graphite around the plunger itself. So far it has worked almost every time I lift the lid. Still delayed turning the light on a few times. A few times I pressed the light unit gently with my finger when it was on and the light went off. I pressed the switch unit the same way and the light went off a few times. I think there's a loose wire as Shogun suggested.

Registered Member

Yes | No

just checked my one

there is a screw holding that switch in place like in Patricks photo. When the screw is out, you can pry the switch out of the lid.

That means your microswitch is missing the screw which is holding it in place. So pull it out, check the wire connections on the back side, if they are o.k., add a screw that holds it in place and the prob is solved.Shogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

voodoo Walt

Yes | No

Thanks for all the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information