+ Reply to Thread
    Danny

Yes | No

'86 528e Auto will not go into 1st gear

I just tried to start my 528e after a few months of not driving it. When I put the car into drive, the rear sat down like it normally does but when I applied gas the car would not move, only the back end went down further. I tried to put the car in 3, 2, and 1. The car went in the other gears fine (still wouldn't move), but was difficult to get into 1st. The car has under 100k and redline transmission fluid, which was full and clean. Any suggestions? Thanks.

TJ

Yes | No

Re: '86 528e Auto will not go into 1st gear

If the car is squatting when you try to go then it sounds like the transmission is fine, there is torque at the axles, something is just stuck.

Did you have the e-brake up when the car was sitting? It may have seized up at the rear wheels. If not, maybe tie it up to another vehicle and try towing a few feet (in neutral) to verify that the wheels are turning freely.

Danny

Yes | No

Re: '86 528e Auto will not go into 1st gear

The e-brake was not up. I think a sprinkler may have been spraying the rear of the car. Is it possible that the rear brakes are seized? Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that later today.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information