+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 154860 Johnnyappleseed is an unknown quantity at this point Johnnyappleseed's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil Leak Major issue

I own a 2004 745I. I have a small oil leak that I had looked at by a friends Chevy dealership. Usually they can fix minor things for me at quite a reduced cost however they beleive this is major. They had to take out the alternator to finally find the leak and said that the engine would need to be pulled and they would need special BMW tools to repair the leak. This seems a little excessive to me considering the labor alone could be around $4000. Could any tech that is on the forum tell me if this sounds like anything they have ever heard of and advise my best move? The car is note bing driven right now because of the issue but I just wanted to get as much info as possible before I go to the dealership and fork out too much money. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Did they tell you where the leak was? Behind the

alternator would indicate the front cover for the timing chain. What did they say? How big a leak is it? A little oil can look bad. Maybe they can do a dye test to define the location.

Registered Member
    Member No: 154860 Johnnyappleseed is an unknown quantity at this point Johnnyappleseed's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Did they tell you where the leak was? Behind the

Roy,

Thanks for your reply. They did a dye test and I can get more specifics tomorrow. What you are describing sounds familiar. I think it did have to do with the cover for the timing chain. It is not a huge leak (I have only had to add oil one time in 2 or 3 months but it is noticeable). If it is the timing chain cover what type of repair process/cost am I looking at??

Registered Member

Yes | No

I really don't know as I have an e38, but you need

to find out if it's the lower case cover or if it's one of the upper ones. The TIS is not to good but it makes it seem as if the lower one is MAJOR work. Maybe if you can tie it down more a service advisor could give you an indication of manhours and then you might talk to some Indys. Oil is cheap and unless it makes a big mess for you where you work or at home you can stand a leak that you only have to top up once in 2/3 months.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I live in Marietta GA and was wondering if you

know of any good INDY in this area?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Also.....

It is the lower timing cover.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I will ask mine if he knows anyone he would trust

to do it. I am in midtown Atlanta. It is the cover and not the crank seal? Right? I assume you feel it leaks enough to warrant the fix now or are you looking for feelers? I will ask anyway. He seldom does anything on e65/66 cars.

Registered Member

Yes | No

It is the cover and I am just looking for info at

the moment. I am pretty sure the labor is anywhere from 36 to 40 hours and I have heard your inital asessment more than once. Oil is cheap. It is not ruining my garage/have it properly covered. Thanks for any help provided.

Registered Member

Yes | No

My Indy is not encouraging. He said that doing it

on the earlier V-8 engines was in the range of 4000 and e65 V-8s is a bunch more. He said just add oil had eventually find another car. Sounds like a weeks work maybe. Have to pull the engine and heads.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information