+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 142349 dsklav is an unknown quantity at this point dsklav's Avatar

Yes | No

1997 740il Wipers don't work? Radio doesn't work?

Problem #1 I need help I bought a 1997 740il at auction. At first the wipers were stuck in the middle of the windshield? Didn't go down. After letting car runs for 30 minutes hit the switch and they went down only worked for a few seconds on High and then stopped all together again? Haven't worked since. Any suggestions as to what could cause this? I have tried replacing the handle switch on the steering column with no success. All fuses seem to be fine. The only thing I don't know about is if there is a relay to check? Any help would be great.

Problem #2 same car as above bought the car and the radio was not working. After letting the car run for awhile the radio started to work then I turned the car off and the radio no longer works. Any ideas?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 1997 740il Wipers don't work? Radio doesn't work?

Sorry forgot to mention radio acts like it has no signal? If you hit scan it goes through all the stations without stopping? Would that mean antenna is broken?

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

How old is your battery? Have you ever had to

change your ignition switch. A bad switch or an old weak battery will cause strange things to happen.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: How old is your battery? Have you ever had to

Brand New Battery. It was bad and I replaced it. Would that cause the radio no to work? Thanks for the help.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Old batteries and old ignition switches sometines

cause strange Gremlins.

MRHNIC

Yes | No

Re: Old batteries and old ignition switches sometines

Had the same problem on my 1998 740iL. I tried all of the above mentioned fixes but ultimately had to take it to the dealer who replace something that was broken in the steering wheel hub.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Wiper relays are under the DME in the electric box

in the engine compartment.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Wiper relays are under the DME in the electric box

I pulled out the DME which relay or relays is it? I have 3 under there to choose from? One is like pink and says abs the other two are both purple. Thanks, William

Registered Member

Yes | No

I'm not sure whether they are under the DME or EGS

modules. The WDS says it is 2 dark colored ones side by side toward the driver.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I'm not sure whether they are under the DME or EGS

I replaced both relays and still the wipers don't work????? Any other Suggestions on what it could be?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks I will try that and see what happens. Any ideas on the radio not working?

Registered Member
    Member No: 163750 montainhi is an unknown quantity at this point montainhi's Avatar

Yes | No

experienced similar symptoms - like intermittent video monitor MKIII display, at times radio audio is on but no video display, or no audio or video display at all. like other posts recommended, i replaced the electric switch on the ignition. completed the task and everything seems to be working, video monitor and radio on, but more than than 15 minutes later, the the interior lights dimmed, and completely lost video and radio signals. tried a couple of times turning on/off the main ignition switch but could not regain video and radio signal. it could be my battery - more than 5 years old, causing all the troubles, besides the car has been has not been started for three weeks while trying to complete my cooling system work.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 1997 740il Wipers don't work? Need Help!!!!!!!

I have replaced the relays that were under the computer! No luck wipers still don't work? Any suggestions on what else it could be? I really need help in getting this resolved.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 1997 740il Wipers fixed! Replaced

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 1997 740il Wipers! Replaced Motor! Work Great!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information