+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 117556 avantgarde is an unknown quantity at this point avantgarde's Avatar

Yes | No

Bypass Heater Core.

My Heater core gave out and its the middle of winter. I am trying to bypass it so I can drive it somewhere to get it fixed. I removed the tube from the overflow reservour and atached a tube to the back of the engine bypassing the heater core. I removed the fuse to the heater core. The car is overheating but not steaming up the interior. How do I get good flow to the cooling system. Thank for your help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

Patrick has done it on his 750

if he reads this he will post a pic, see the old comments from him here
    http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw-7-series-e32/605370-1.htmlShogun E32 Tech Tips: http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 117556 avantgarde is an unknown quantity at this point avantgarde's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Patrick has done it on his 750

Thanks, I read the info. I am wondering if I put the overflow reservoir directly to the coolant with a straight hose if the coolant will flow properly. I see no leaks but it started to overhead and I think there could be air in the system.

thanks

Bill

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 13814
    Inner Circle ©160 since: Aug 14, 2003 cheung1 is an unknown quantity at this point cheung1's Avatar

Yes | No

Car shouldn't overheat due to the bypass

Check to see the long plastic pipe from radiator going around the engine bay back to the expansion tank is not plugged; also check that the auxiliary fan can be automatically switched on. Another (unlikely) possibility is that your car may have been relying on the Cabin Heater core to dissipate some heat so as to maintain the operating temperature.Patrick C 88 750 159K

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information