+ Reply to Thread
    rob

Yes | No

e38 DSC,ABS,BRAKE, TRANS FAIL PROG all lit at once

Hello,

On my 2000 740il yesterday, the DSC/ASC warning light came on during normal driving and would not go out when i pressed the DSC button. It did go off once I restarted the car so I thought maybe I had accidentally bumped it and turned it off, but today its back on again (the warning lite) and also the ABS and Brake warning light. When these came on I decided to head for home when I notice also that the TRANSMISSION FAIL PROGRAM warning light was also on and the car seemed noticeably sluggish and unwilling to rev above 2000rpm with the speedo also not working. I pulled over and stopped and waited 20 minutes before restarting. The trans fail program lite was extinguished but the ABS, Brake, and DSV light remain lit. Since they all came on at the same time it seems like it cant just be a coincidence. Maybe some inter-related part has failed or their is some electronic or sensor problem? Has this happened to anyone before and do you have any ideas about what the problem might be? Thanks Much -->Rob

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

Probable ABS/SPEED wire is insulator is history

First, check the battery... cold weather kills good batteries make sure to do a load test... AUTOBONES can help to conduct a free load test.; second: after replacing battery check four wires to wheels... two wires and sensor at front are ABS sensors and two rear wires and sensor at rear are speed sensors. If so, it is possible those wire are fried... the plastic wire shield has cracked and wires are touching causing error codes. Simply looking at the wire is not enough... need to feel it with your hands and make sure the wire insulators is not cracking or cracked and wires are touching.

"Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

Registered Member
    Member No: 13623 tcachtung is an unknown quantity at this point tcachtung's Avatar

Yes | No

You need to have fault codes to help determine...

what is up. Just a WAG would be a bad ABS/DSC control unit which does fail on these cars on a regular basis but could also be any number of other less expensive items. I would get professionally diagnosed. Trent Cole, Tech Advisor, Lone Star Chapter, BMW CCA
    President, Lone Star Bavarian, Inc.
    FT. Worth Tx, 76132
    www.lonestarbavarian.com

rob

Yes | No

Re: You need to have fault codes to help determine

thanks T, the codes are 82, 58, 54, 130, 128, 220. im thinking its the dsc sensor gone bad cuz all the lites came on at the same time?

rob

Yes | No

i mean the dsc control module on the top right side of the engine

rob

Yes | No

also i forgot code 221 :p

BigBimmer

Yes | No

What read those codes?

Those numbers are not a format I recognize. What read those codes?

A Peake or OBD reader will not read codes related to the ABS/DSC controller. A BMW or Autologic diagnostics computer will give you a full-text description of the error.

Registered Member
    Member No: 139758 Pixcutter is an unknown quantity at this point Pixcutter's Avatar

Yes | No
    Bad news! Most likely, the ABS module has a component failure (mine did) and you will have to replace the circuit board. This is a dealer service and it's EXPENSIVE (about $1700 for the board plus labor (Feb 2011 @ McKenna BMW in Norwalk CA). Be prepared for additional parts, like wheel spped sensors and system programming. This cost me a BIG chunk of cash, and made be buy American (Corvette) 3 months later because of the costs. Still have the 2000 740iS, but its about time to dump it as the tranny is acting up.
    Last edited by Pixcutter; 09-19-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 98.119.70.188

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No
    I think most guys on the more active boards do not get this done at the Dealer. There is a rebuilder that most use. Do a search. I have not had this problem so I don't remember the name off hand.

Modulemasters I think is the name of the rebuilder. You will probably have to recode it with Autologic or similar. Several pictures on e38.org .
    Last edited by ROYinGA; 09-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.32.172.69

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information