+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 163750 montainhi is an unknown quantity at this point montainhi's Avatar

Yes | No

Broken Water Pump - Shaved Engine Block

Season's greetings, everyone. More than eight years and almost 110k trouble free my 01 740 is starting shed its original parts. It came off the shop for the complete 100K check-up but my mechanic I suppose did not check the water pump - at it was working OK then. A week later, there was this strange noise and later discovered the belts jumped off the main pulley by three grids. My mechanic said its my water pump. His right and today I finally removed the waterpump from and discovered that some damage was inflected into the block (engine) portion where the WP is mounted. Note from the picture, the silvery shine portion (lower shave) was about 2x of a finger nail thick and extends about 2 inches. What is the impact of the damage, to the cooling system and to the engine. How could it be repaired? Your advice/assistance is highly appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Picture doesn't work. However I would just smooth

it up with a Dremel tool if not to deep. Really don't know without the picture.

Registered Member
    Member No: 163750 montainhi is an unknown quantity at this point montainhi's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Picture doesn't work. However I would just smooth

Sorry if the picture did not work but thank for your reply anyway. My troubles did not end there. I installed a new water pump without doing anything with the shaved/scraped area one of the two longer bolts snapped at the threaded end, leaving the about 3/4 inch of the broken thread in the block. It broke before 10Nm torque. Close examination of the bolt shows sign of an old tear/crack. Other posts, suggested replacement of all the bolts. I could not agree any less and that's what I'me going to do. Any suggestion in removing/recovering the end that's stock in the engine block?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Is any of it sticking out? Enough to get the vice

grips on? If no, can you pin punch it and drill a small hole in the bolt stub and get a small ez out started without getting the drill bit into the base metal? Clean all the holes carefully. Do you have a tap of that size? Get one.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Is any of it sticking out? Enough to get the vice

it's one of the two long bolts and the broken end is stocked about 3 inches. shop's i've called so far, suggested, taking the engine apart.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I don't understand "stocked about 3 inches"? Can

you get to where you can center drill it and do the small easy out. Taking the engine apart sounds crazy to me. I'll ask my Indy. I have a 750 so mine is different.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information