+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 122982 525tds is an unknown quantity at this point 525tds's Avatar

Yes | No

stuttering when warm

Hello,

I have a 525d (11-2005, 56k miles, 6 speed manual) and when the engine is warm and I drive at a constant rpm, especially around 2000, (in any gear) it will start stuttering. It feels like someone has stuck a small potato in the exhaust... When the engine is cold, it drives perfectly fine.

I also noticed that the exhaust is ticking much more than usual when I switch off the engine. Also, the right exhaust small tail-pipe seems to be much hotter than the left one.

Not sure if it's related, but my air intake manifold still needs to be replaced because it was sweating some oil. (Also, the oil breather and oil separator should be replaced). This work hasn't been done yet because the dealer doesn't have time until January 4th...

Does anybody have any idea what may be causing the stuttering when my engine / exhaust system warms up?

Thanks,
    Rene (Belgium)

Registered Member
    Member No: 122982 525tds is an unknown quantity at this point 525tds's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: stuttering when warm

In case someone else will have this problem as well, here's the solution:

Just replace the oil separator (located on top of the cylinderhead cover). My car hasn't stuttered anymore since. Also make sure to clean your engine block and keep an eye on any furher oil sweating from your air intake manifold. You may still need to replace it, which is quite expensive (The dealer quoted 635 Euro incl. labor).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information