+ Reply to Thread
    Kyle

Yes | No

530i with M60 engine only running on 4 cylinders

My friend purchased a '94 530i two weeks ago that was running fine when he viewed it and later drove it 400 miles home. He was averaging 18-20 MPG.

He told me today that it starts a little rough in the cold but when it warms up it runs fine. Sure enough, he brought it to my shop and it ran fine... seemed smooth... even had good power but I noticed a bit of a miss on the passenger side. I thought it was a bad coil pack so I started disconnecting them one by one with no change. I replaced the spark plugs, all the old ones seemed really old but weren't in awful shape and we still had the same issue where the miss was noticed. After some more troubleshooting, I disconnected ALL of the coil packs on the passenger side and the thing was still running exactly as it was when he brought it to me in the first place!

I've tested the coils, it has new plugs and I have reset the ECU by connecting the battery terminals together for a few minutes with the ignition on. All of this goes back to the original issue, rough start-up in the cold and only running (albeit somewhat smooth and drivable) on one bank of cylinders.

So here's the question: What would cause an M60 to run on only 4 cylinders?

Kyle

Yes | No

Re: 530i with M60 engine only running on 4 cylinde

I should clarify that he says it runs today as well as it did when he picked it up. My theory is that the seller knew this and warmed the car up for him before he came to buy it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information