+ Reply to Thread
    emrave

Yes | No

Where is the headlight fuse?

Is the headlight fuse lumped together with something else? I am trying to install the HID kit but would like to know where is the headlight fuse, just in case.

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

There isn't one, all external lights R controlled(

by the Light Control Module. The input power to the LCM is fused IIRC.

emrave

Yes | No

Re: There isn't one, all external lights R controlled(

If there is a short the light module will protect it electronically? or the light module fuse will blow?

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

I doubt you have a short, most likely a different(

HW or SW version which is not campatible with your car.
    What was the version of the LCM that was in your car. I assume it was different. What you are trying to do is similar to putting a Pentium chip in a DOS machine and expect everything to work just fine.

emrave

Yes | No

Re: I doubt you have a short, most likely a different(

I don't know what version of LCM, it is a 2001 525 production date 10/2000. In some cases if there is a external short on one of the headlights what would happen? how does the LCM limit or cut off the current? Normally there is a fuse just for headlights, that is separate from the side marker and dash (not very sure).

I just installed the HID and it works, no error either without resistor. I have always complaint about my headlights not bright enough, especially now that the plastic covers are full with dings. When next to my friend's 2006 subaru can't even see my lights. I am happy now. Thanks for you help.

JimCash

Yes | No

Re: I doubt you have a short, most likely a different(

As JimLev said - there are NO fuses on any of the external lights.

Each " individual" lamp (and I do mean each individual bulb) has its own transistor switch in the LCM. So each bulb filament is powered (operated) and monitored individually.

Since they are monitored the LCM also knows if the resistance has gone low (as a short) and then the power transformer for that lamp is no longer activated till the fault is cleared.

If the resistance of a lamp circuit is not within the expected range then you get the warning message and other things may also occur
    - lamp will not be powered (as mentioned above)
    - depending on which lamp it is the system may use a different bulb as a temporary replacement (IE - if a tail light is out the system will use the brake lamp bulb in that cluster but dim it to the proper level.)

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Jim Cash

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information