+ Reply to Thread
    MarkD

Yes | No

Trunk lock actuator gone crazy

When the car is unlocked, I open the trunk using the lock button. As the lid is raised, the car doors lock. If the lid is raised all the way up, the actuator begins whirring and whining; sounds like a drill. When lid is closed, trunk is locked and must be unlocked with the key; remote will not do it. Remote will unlock the doors. Doors cannot be unlocked from inside the car (as I found out the hard way).

I've seen posts here commenting on wiring harness issues, and adjustment or connection issues with the actuator linkage. I have not had time yet to examine, but I am guessing the actuator is shot, based on the noises. Any similar experiences out there? Thanks.

1995 525i
    October 1995 build date

Big Dog

Yes | No

Re: Trunk lock actuator gone crazy

Most likely the harness has some chaffing, the most common problem area is where the harness comes out of the plastic wire tray at the bottom of the left trunk hinge. Check there first for broken/chaffed/shorted wires.

Good luck, electrical problems can sometimes be a major headache.

Registered Member
    Member No: 68743 mixgasdivr is an unknown quantity at this point mixgasdivr's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Trunk lock actuator gone crazy

My wiring harness was broken (as the post before describes) at the driver side hinge. My problem was quite different than yours, my trunk would not remotely lock or unlock because of the broken wires, but maybe your harness is broken as well. Let us know what you find.

MarkD

Yes | No

OK, found it.

Got to thinking, had to be wires broken in the harness, as the problem depended on the angle of the trunk lid. Sure enough, at least 3-4 wires broken in the harness by the driver-side trunk hinge; others don't look so good. I had heard this was a common problem with E34s. Frankly, I was hoping it was a part to replace, not a bunch of soldering to do! Thanks, guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information