+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 124047 SouthernZee is an unknown quantity at this point SouthernZee's Avatar

Yes | No

Won't start!

I have a 3.0 2004 Z4 with SMG...

More than 6 months ago the car would intermittently refuse to start. Turned over fine, battery, starter, et al are all OK.

Would tow to dealer upon which it would start

Recently it spent over a week at the dealer to no avail.

Then it happened again, at home, so I had it towed to a fairly local private BMW repair shop. Explained the entire situation, even suggested the SMG pump as I had read about what seemed to be similar issues with M3's. Mine had never stalled when it was running however.

The repair shop described the fuel system to me as a Fuel Pump Relay, The Fuel Pump Itself, and a computer module that controls the whole thing. At this time I was thoroughly frustrated and taking it back without changing anything would be insanity, so we changed the relay...

Two weeks later it failed to start again, while getting the emissions checked. Towed it back to repair shop and of course it started there. Kept it for a month and it started everyday... (it has 105k miles).

So then I authorized them to change the fuel pump. Upon getting it back I thought this might be it, as I had noticed that when the car did start it would stumble slightly before achieving a nice idle, and when I got it back this was gone. Hooray, or so I thought...

Two days later went on a trip to Virginia and it ran fine. On the way back we stopped at a rest stop and it would not start. Reset computer by disconnecting battery, no luck. This was on Christmas eve! Got a tow to a BMW dealer and upon taking it off of the flatbed, it started! We started towards home with only 2 hours till home. One hour in is stalled while driving in the left lane at 80 mph. Got towed the remaining 80 mile home and now my car is in my garage.

With a new relay switch and fuel pump, does this sound like the computer module? Have I been told a story? Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be the SMG pump?

Ideas???

Thanks,
    Tony

Registered Member
    Member No: 71351 blaZen is an unknown quantity at this point blaZen's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Won't start!

Have you tried your 2nd key? Take your spare when your car will not start, try the other key. Could be as simple as that.

What part of the South are you from? The best private BMW shop is in Oxford, Mississippi.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Hum.... after being tilted upward...m

onto a tow truck, the car starts and runs well.

Pump? Partially blocked fuel line? What was the fuel level in the tank?

Taking stabs in the dark.

Scott Pettit

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

I thought it was in ZetaTre's car port.

Registered Member

Yes | No

If it were the key, nothing would operate....

right? Or can some systems function and others not because of the key?

Hum.....

Scott Pettit

Registered Member
    Member No: 71351 blaZen is an unknown quantity at this point blaZen's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: If it were the key, nothing would operate....

If you recall at ZFest, my Z4 M would not start. All gages lit up. Turns out it was a bad key. I'm just saying it is worth a try while the owner is sitting in a car that will not start.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I stand corrected. Thank you.

martin

Yes | No

A few years ago,I had a similar problem with a 911 Porsche. It was a problem with a corroded battery ground.

Registered Member
    Member No: 124047 SouthernZee is an unknown quantity at this point SouthernZee's Avatar

Yes | No

Every time fuel level was greater than half a tank... It does turn over fine, and sometimes it will stumble when trying to start, so I don't think it is the key.

I am outside of Atlanta... going to take it to Performing Imports in Marietta...

Registered Member

Yes | No

So, after some idle time, finally took it to Ron at Performing Imports in Alpharetta (Atlanta)...

Turns out it was a bad ground block in the trunck, where the fuel pump grounds. It was not getting a solid ground and losing power to the pump, so not enough power to generate the necessary PSI to start...

this has been a loooooong saga, but it is fixed!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information