+ Reply to Thread
    Tero X5 05

Yes | No

X5 05 battery replacement

After cold winter night, my X5 05 3.0D didn't start. I was able to try few times but then battery died. I'm planning to replace the battery now. After reading the posts here I feel I can just simply remove the old battery and install the new one, following standard safety procedures like starting with the '-' side and then opening the '+' side.

My question is should I be worried about power-dependent features like computers and codes when I remove the battery? If these features will be locked because of the procedure, how to avoid problems?

Mondo

Yes | No

Re: X5 05 battery replacement

I have also had problems starting my 05 X5 since I bought it in Nov09. Did you find out why you weren't starting? I have already replaced the battery and recently spent 300 getting BMW to switch off some of the extras such as PS2 and SatNav. These appeared to be drawing power when car not in use, but it still didn't start today having been left for two days(cold weather).

As soon as I hook up my old Jag to jump it it starts straight away, so surely not an engine problem?

Any ideas anyone?

ArcticX5

Yes | No

Re: X5 05 battery replacement

I was recently out of the country for a month and didn't have the ability to trickle charge my 2006 X5's battery while I was gone, so I disconnected the battery's negative terminal in order to retain the battery's charge until I returned.

Upon reconnecting the negative terminal and restoring battery power, the only issue I had was the DSC light remaining illuminated in my instrument cluster, but it turned itself off after a few miles down the road. I have navigation, Sirius satellite radio, iPod adaptor, and the bluetooth cell phone module -- I don't utilize the code feature for my radio -- and none of these items was affected in any way by the sustained loss of battery power.

I have heard, however, that the EWS system (engine lock-out protection) may possibly act up when the battery is reconnected; but it, too, usually corrects itself in short order. (In such an instance, the X5 will start up fine after the battery is reconnected, but when it's then turned off it may not restart -- engine will turnover fine, but won't fire -- until appx. 15 minutes has elapsed . . . the vehicle then starts properly every time thereafter.)

Registered Member
    Member No: 37503 robertplattbell is an unknown quantity at this point robertplattbell's Avatar

Yes | No

My experience was the same

I put an Exide from the wholesale club in it a month ago and it is running great. $79

BMWs can be cheap to operate....

The DSC light came on for a few seconds, then went off. Other than that, everything was OK.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information