+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

MS330xi

Yes | No

One More Time - 328i vs. 328xi

Friends - I know this issue has been discussed thoroughly, but I thought I'd ask again to get the latest opinions since I have decided to order and buy my next BMW in February rather than lease it, as I have my last two cars, both xi. I currently have a 328xi coupe that has performed flawlessly, but I continue to wonder what I'm missing by not being able to have the real (i) sport suspension, which does not come with the xi. I also have has 4 snows on, since in Albany, NY the weather at times can be hazardous. I recently drove an 328i with sport suspension and could not tell any difference in handling between my xi and the i, but then I only drove it for 20 minutes and not in the snow. The bottom line as I see it is that if the xi offers the same handling as the i with sp. susp. but also adds a margin of safety in rain and snow it should be my choice. But if the i with sp. susp. offers better handling and with snows is equal to the xi in safety I should go with the i. One final question - I have also always switched off my runflats for Bridgestone conventional tires, but wonder if there is now a run flat tire that is nearly as good? Thanks for weighing in. MS

floydr

Yes | No

Re: One More Time - 328i vs. 328xi

I used to have a 330xi, both with the OEM all-seasons and with serious snow tires. I have a plethora of experience in driving in snow, as I teach skiing (at a mt. that gets over 240" of snow a year), and have a house and a cabin in snow country. I also took my driver's test back in '67 in the snow in a rwd Plymouth ;-) The 330xi really rocked in snow with snow tires (it was just ok with all-seasons.) I could go places people in SUVs with chains couldn't go - but I was careful not to get high-centered.

I currently am driving a SP 335d; my son drives a SP 335i that he has Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3's on. IMHO, snow tires are a necessity, AWD is not. My car and my sons' just won't go without snows, if there is anything at all on the road. They get really squirrley if the temp is below 40 (they both have the Bridgestones as OEM.)

My Toyota 4WD truck has some all-season stuff on them; it's way worse than my old 330xi was in the snow. My wife's Highlander with snows will trash it, too. I was in a situation just Saturday in my truck (not in 4WD - I almost never use it on the pavement) that would not have happened in my son's car with the snows.

I can't compare the E46 330xi's handling with the E90s with SP or the 328 SP vs 335 SP, but the only real difference between the AWD and RWD versions is that the AWD is much more neutral - no rear-end stepout under throttle. The extra weight doesn't affect the balance, and unless you're on the racetrack or dodging cones in a parking lot there is little if any additional understeer due to the weight.

All that being said, most people don't need the AWD if they have snow tires. And "most" probably includes you.

eolas

Yes | No

My e46 328i (no SP) with 4 snows handled every snow event in the Cap. District of New York for the 10 years I owned it. As floydr noted, an AWD vehicle is not required. I've not purchased snows for my e90 yet, but I do not plan to drive it if we have a significant snowfall. My experience this winter is that the OEM Continental RFT all-seasons seem to be passable for 1-2 inches of snow.

MS330xi

Yes | No

All these responses have been extremely helpful. My thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. Best, MS

ZZTop

Yes | No

I also have snows on my RWD 328i SP. When driven in reasonable amounts of snow for example less than a foot even on un-cleared roads I've never gotten stuck. Even uphill starts. I expect some wheel slip but that doesn't bother me. For larger amounts of snow covered roads, you shouldn't be on them anyway AWD or not. I have not felt the need to replace my car with an AWD version as a result of living in the NE. But for the type of people that don't want to hassle with snow tires, AWD is probably neccassary depending on how restricted their driving needs are.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information