+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 21537 sktn77a is an unknown quantity at this point sktn77a's Avatar

Yes | No

Vibration at 70 - 80 mph

Hi all: 2001 530i 5 sp, 101,000 miles, well maintained (I've owned the car from new), stock wheels and tire sizes. I noticed a vibration in the car when I'm driving on most road surfaces (freeways) at 70 - 80 mph. It's not a shimmy - I had the wheels road force balanced - no difference. Had the front thrust arms and bushings replace about 12 months ago. I think its too fast a vibration to be rear wheel imbalance and it increases with road speed, not engine speed.

Given the age and mileage of the car, any ideas?

Thanks

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you tried a front-to-back tire swap? >>

What kind of tires do you have?
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yep, no difference...............

So I'm pretty sure it's not the wheels or tires.
    Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member
    Member No: 33342 rmedure is an unknown quantity at this point rmedure's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Vibration at 70 - 80 mph

I would suspect wheel/tire runout (roundness) although it sounds like you think you eliminated that possibility.

Did your shop measure the runout? How old are the tires? Radial force variation can also feel like excessive runout, some machines can measure this too.

Cheers!
    Robert

'99 540i sport, 6 spd (prod 10/98)
    Click here for Mod List

I am a BMW Car Club of America member, are you?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well, I'm familar with imbalance/runout in tires/wheels and this vibration is a higher frequency.

OK, I didn't want to put words into peoples mouths, but I think it might be a CV joint/guibo in the driveshaft. Anybody had similar problems that were cured by repiring/replacing these?Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member

Yes | No

Tire runout produces resonance in my car

at precisely 70 mph. Oh wait, I guess that's not quite relevant to you though since I have aftermarket springs/shocks and my unsprung mass in the front is greater than stock (big brakes and HM2 wheels are considered heavier than stock).

I believe my '97 528 used to resonate at a slightly lower frequency ... somewhere between 60 and 70 mph? If you're sure you're getting it much over 70 mph (as in 75 - 80) then I would agree you're on the right track to look elsewhere.
    Cheers!
    Robert

Click here for Mod List

Registered Member

Yes | No

Continental conti-touring 225/55R16

OEM tires and I've always used them as they ride nicely.Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member

Yes | No

sktn77a ... any luck with this yet?

Cheers!
    Robert

Click here for Mod List

Registered Member

Yes | No

Taking it back to the tire store tomorrow,

They are going to rebalance the tires and check the tires and wheels for runout. Then it's off to the stealer to check the driveshaft, CV joints and guibo.Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 21320
    Inner Circle ©155 since: Jul 21, 2003 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

My experience with Contis is that they never >>

seem to be balanced, in spite of the skill of the balancer.
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 104565 Zardoz2025 is on a distinguished road Zardoz2025's Avatar

Yes | No

Had 1 Conti that needed a brick-size weight to get

it to balance. The weight needed to be dead center inside the hub, and, when I put it on the car, it hit the brake caliper! Had to mallet-tap it into a thinner piece.

The Conti's I had (Touring Contacts) seemed to develop a "wump-wump-wump" at lower speeds as they aged, regardless of further balancing. They were nice wearing tires, but lousy for traction (obviously- 2 opposing tire characteristics), and tough to balance correctly, even with a roadforce machine.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i (aka, best car I ever owned!)
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather
    Zeckhausen CDV
    Nokia CK-7
    D-Con Cache on Fuel Pump Cover

Registered Member

Yes | No

Had the tires balanced again..... no difference.

Road force balanced, runout checked (15-25 thousandths runout, well within normal specs) - no difference. So I'm guessing it's the drivetrain somewhere after the gearbox. Taking the car in to the dealer on Monday to have them check it over.
    Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Jase007

Yes | No

I have conti extreme contacts on 17" wheels (new) in oem sizes (235/45/17) and don't have any vibration. They aren't the quietest but they don't cost as much as Michelins either.

I would check you thrust arm bushings for signs of oil/seepage to see of they have failed in the last 12 months (not uncommon).

I replaced mine with OEM, weighted the car correctly and torqed them correctly .. and they failed within the year. Went with Powerflex thrust arm bushings (hand fitted - some shaving) and haven't had any problems in 15K +. Front end NVH is increased as well as steering wheel feedback. Need to re-lube once a year even using good Wurth copper based anti-seize.

Meyle makes a solid rubber (not fluid filled like OEM) thrust arm bushing that is getting popular.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks..............

I haven't checked the thrust arm bushings since they were replaced last year. My experience with these is that they produce a shimmy when they are worn. My symptoms are more a vibration (like a rear wheel imbalance, only faster).

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

sktn77a

Yes | No

Turns out it WAS the tires. Dealer balanced them and the vibration is almost gone now. They found nothing wrong with the driveline (guibo, etc).

Registered Member

Yes | No

I hate to say it, but ... :-)

Cheers!
    Robert

Click here for Mod List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information