+ Reply to Thread
    RLB

Yes | No

2001 4.4 X5 rear suspension

I have a 2001 X5 and the rear wheels are tipped out causing excessive wear on the inside tread. The driver side rear is worse than the passenger rear. The dealer told me that this is normal but I have people stop me on the road and say how crazy it looks. My problem is that I wear out tires like crazy. I've seen other X5's that do this but mine seems excessive compared to others that I have seen.

Registered Member
    Member No: 6805 hlgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point hlgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2001 4.4 X5 rear suspension

Its adjustable. Not an uncommon complaint. They all sit that way a bit, so the outside tire will be flatter in a corner, but they should not be so far out they cause terribly excessive wear. I once had a 750 and put it on the rack one day and found the cord was showing on the inside of the rear tires. New tires, then the dealer did an alignment and it didn't do it any more. I have normal alignments done on my x and have not had a problem. Take it to an an old timer indy that has computerized alignment and get the printout. Better yet, get the printout from the dealer. It shows the factory specs and the actual readings and its easy to see if its out. I have an indy who aligns race cars and he still uses the metal bars and a ruler. It ain't rocket science. Unless something is broken, you turn the bolt one way and it brings them in, the other way takes them out. Referring to the bottom of the tires. Maybe someone has a more technical explanation. Where's Bob?

Good luck!

RLB

Yes | No

Re: 2001 4.4 X5 rear suspension

Thanks for the reply. I have had it aligned but I will ask for the printout.

Registered Member
    Member No: 6805 hlgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point hlgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

They usually staple mine to the invoice

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information